Factory installed SSD - am I crazy?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dcmike, Nov 23, 2010.

1. dcmike macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm considering getting a 15" MBP with a 256gig SSD direct from Apple. I've seen a lot of the postings on the forum about the speed boost from SSD, but it seems like many posters install the drives after purchase. It also seems that many of the third-party drives are faster.

I live overseas and want to get the computer while back in the U.S. for the holidays. I also want AppleCare to cover it should things go wrong. I know it's pricey, am I crazy for getting the drive directly from Apple?

Thanks,

Mike

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If it makes sense for you, then who can knock you.

There's some wisdom to getting everything stock from apple because of the warranty, especially if you'll be overseas

3. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

You're not crazy. I would totally do the same thing also for warranty reasons.

Things would be different if you could still take out the battery through the latch and access the hard drive.

Now that the battery is sealed, I don't want to open up the case to get to the hdd.

I just wish Apples ssd prices were reasonable.

4. RayK macrumors 6502

I think its a great idea to do just that. The less reasons to have warranty issues the better.

5. croooow macrumors 65816

croooow

Yeah, you're crazy...crazy like a fox! The extra money spent way be well worth avoiding the effort of cloning/re-installing the OS and not worrying about the warranty.

6. dcmike thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all! This is going to be a replacement for my (almost) five year old 15" Core Duo Macbook Pro, and I'm willing to shell out a little bit more to get that sort of life out of a machine, but just wanted confirmation I wasn't making a stupid choice.

7. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

I got the Apple SSD when I purchased my MBP. Sure you can get faster SSD's from OWC but at some point you have to ask yourself "How fast do I really NEED it?". One thing to keep in mind is that the OWC SSD's are far more likely to retain their original write speeds where Apple's SSD will not after heavy use.