Factory iPad cable doesn't "compress"?

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Cowabunga, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Cowabunga macrumors member

I just picked up an iPad 1, and am surprised to see the cable that it comes with doesn't have the built-in feature the iPod cable does, of pressing on the side and having the "wings" of the connector compress in. It seems like you have to force it into the bottom of the iPad, which I'm not very comfortable with. Is this normal?

[​IMG]

2. captainfester macrumors member

normal

they got rid of the "wings" awhile ago. it takes a little force... mind u a little... to get her in there.

3. Cowabunga thread starter macrumors member

Hmm, I guess I'll just use my iPod cable. I'm afraid I'm going to damage something with this thing

4. sahnert macrumors 6502

My iPhone 3G from 2008 has the same style cable. This has been the standard for a while and will not cause any damage to the iPad or the cable.

5. kvizzel macrumors 6502a

I was also thinking this. My iPhone 3G has the same problem, and I think it does sort of cause a problem.

Because right where the cable is the back case is cracked.

6. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

what's more likely to damage your iPad.

the cable that _came with it_, which has wings that automatically release once a certain amount of force is applied

or another device's cable, where the wings actually stay hooked until you manually release them.
    unless you're planning on dangling the device while just holding onto the cable, go with the original cable, as it provides a similar failsave mechanism as the magsafe adapter

7. Cowabunga thread starter macrumors member

So long as you remember to "engage" the sides when removing, id say the iPod cable is safer actually.

Just because this one is newer doesn't mean its safer.

8. xraytech macrumors 68020

Don't be so timid!!!

Just plug the darn thing in.

This is a variation on the MagSafe plug. Okay imagine this situation...

Your precious iPad is precariously close to the edge of a table and you have it plugged into an outlet. Someone walks by and snags his foot on the cable. Now would you rather have the old style 30pin connector or the new style where it easily breaks away leaving your iPad safe on the table?

9. CH34P3T macrumors regular

This has happened to me before, and the new style cables without the locks has saved a handful of my iDevices.

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

Actually, as I stated, the newer version is safer.