Factory reset a found ipad

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jonmknight, Aug 8, 2015.

1. jonmknight macrumors newbie

Hi All, I'm new here.. I've tried googling and can't find a definitive answer.. wondering whether someone could help?

tldr: found an ipad, need help factory resetting it so I can sell on ebay..

---------------

long version: Hmm, this is going to sound like the dodgiest post ever, but can assure you it's genuine.. I don't know didley squad about Apple stuff (I'm an Android guy) so after some advice..

.. Back in Sept last year my youngest, (2 weeks at the time) was taken ill & had to go hospital - early [very early - 5am] one morning I went for a walk to clear my head.. Found an ipad in the hospital car park - one of those 4th gen ipads - looked brand spanking, came with a Vodafone SIM

After some deliberation I handed it into Hospital reception. A month or so ago (i'd totally forgotten about it) the hospital phone me up to say nobody's claimed and that I should come & collect it. I tried vodafone and read off the SIM number in hope that they could find the owner that way - they, for data protection reasons wouldn't give me any details, nor would they admit that they could even find a match for the owner. I decided to hand it into the police.

Anyhoo - the police have just phoned me to say that nobody's claimed it - so now it's legally mine. I've done the find my ipad stuff via Icloud and it's not reported as lost or stolen. I don't know the PIN to unlock it. I don't know who's itunes account it's associated to. How the f*ck to i factory reset it? It's the latest version of Ipad from what I can see, so it'll be running latest version of Ios. Is it a door stop or can i do something with it?

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

You can is it has ios6 on it. However if ios7 is installed then the activation lock will proberly be enabled.

Google dfu restore.