Factory Reset doesn't erase everything?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iBlazed, Sep 19, 2014.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I erased my iPhone 5 and then restored it to factory settings. I wanted to make sure it was fully erased and reset and disconnected from my iCloud account. But the weirdest thing happened, when I started setting it up of course the first thing it asked for was language and wifi connection. When I tapped my wifi network, it connected to it without even asking for a password. How could this have possibly happened after a factory reset. Shouldn't the phone have completely forgotten the wifi network?

2. wepiii macrumors 6502

3. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah, not sure how that happened. I restored it a second time and still had this issue. Somehow the router and wifi chip in the iPhone continue to remember each other even after a factory software reset.

4. bushman4 macrumors 68000

Go to Settings> WiFi>click on your Wifi Address then click on the circle with the i inside, next click on 'forget this network. restart your iPhone and do your reset and all will be well.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Oh crap. I hope it does. That's all I did before I sold my iPhone 5

6. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

Yea, same here. Not so worried about a WiFi password but concerned about what else may be left on it.

7. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Exactly. iPhone 3G, 4, and 5. All I ever did was reset and sold to random people on craigslist. Lol

8. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

I think its in the cloud.

My home wifi connected on my brand new phone and I never entered it.

9. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

That's true, but he said that the phone had been completely reset including review long iCloud.

10. Tobias Funke macrumors 6502a

Tobias Funke

Whoops! :D

11. willmtaylor Suspended

willmtaylor

This is slightly worrisome. I've subbed this thread to see if anyone more knowledgable can chime in.

12. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

reset network setings erases save wifi passwords so it does not make total sense why reset all does not

13. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I already sold the phone last month, I wish I had taken a screen shot at the time. It not only connected to my network after being restored to factory settings, the little lock icon that is normally next to the name of the network was oddly located somewhere at the edge of the screen, practically off screen and far from where its supposed to be. It was obviously a glitch in the software and all the surrounding networks had their locks in the spot where they're supposed to be.