Factory Reset for Ebay Sale (I do know how), but should I?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by LWan, Apr 3, 2009.

1. LWan macrumors newbie

As I am upgrading to 2nd gens, I will be selling the 1st gens on Ebay. I am wondering if I should sell them "as is", meaning with the all the current apps and software intact? One is over a year old that I had to upgrade the software 2x, so if I restore to original won't the new owner have to pay to get the upgrades? I appreciate your input! Obviously I would take off personal info, calendar, notes etc.... and what about apps? Can I leave apps I paid for? Probably might as well delete them since the person couldn't sync them to their computer if they are not one of "five" permission given computers.

2. sandman42 macrumors 6502a

sandman42

The apps will be erased when the new owner syncs with their computer, because the apps aren't resident in their iTunes library. The apps are tied to your iTunes Music Store account, and wouldn't run on the device once it's synced with their account anyway.

3. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Like the above said.

And it's for your own security to reset the data on the device anyway - it's just a wise thing to do.

4. LWan thread starter macrumors newbie

I know.... I was just hoping to hear otherwise, that there was some way to keep that "January Update" I paid for on it.

5. WB2Colorado macrumors regular

WB2Colorado

A "Factory Reset" on an iPod touch meens that everything is deleted off of it, then the current software is reinstalled. It doesn't put the software that was on the iPod when you got it, but the latest firmware that was installed on it. So if you have 2.0, 2.0 would be installed after the iPod is restored.

6. xhArRiSoNxD macrumors regular

For expiremental purposes can you put your iPod on the password lock setting and type in the wrong password 10 times after setting it to erase all data.
    And re post if after the erase the password is still on the iPod after the erase.
    The reason why this information is important to me is because is someone were to have my iPod and type in the wrong password 10 times making the iPod erase all data, will the password still be on the iPod after the erase.
    I would not want that person that had my iPod to be able to use my iPod I'd rather just have then typing in passwords forever.

7. crees! macrumors 68000

crees!

LWan, I'm looking to purchase a 1st gen iPod Touch. Can you PM me.