Factory reset for iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by nicb2108, May 19, 2014.

1. nicb2108 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Sorry, you probably get a lot of these posts. I have read various things on websites but unfortunately, none of them have worked. The most common suggestion was resetting the iMac and then holding down cmd and R, but that hasn't worked.
    Basically, my poor little iMac has gotten incredibly slow after updating to 10.8.4. I have no idea where the original disc is, but I do have my snow leopard disc. Putting that in didn't work, though.

I just want to completely wipe my iMac and start again. It's early 2009 if that helps.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me. Cheers.

2. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

3. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

I put Mavericks on my 2009 iMac via a USB boot install, completely wiped it, gave it an incredible speed up.

4. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

That means you had a old program, hackie, plugin that Mavericks didn't like. I find many users never really upgrade their installed programs when updating OS X to new versions.

5. Tumbleweed666 macrumors 68000

It doesn't, because the speedup was from 10.8 to 10.9, it was a first time Mavericks install.
    On 10.8 all programs were up to date and there were no "hackies" (whatever they are) or "plugins" installed) other than browser plugins.