Factory reset MBP after upgrade to mavericks

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by th3godf4th3r, Oct 30, 2013.

1. th3godf4th3r macrumors newbie

hey there,

i am looking to sell my old 2009 MBP as i just upgraded to a new MBA, it has always run on snow leopard but i just updated to mavericks so my question is

when i go into disk utility and erase the hard drive and it does its thing and reboots will it need the snow leopard disk in the computer or will it let me install mavericks again?

thanks!

2. priitv8 macrumors 68020

You can reinstall Mavericks if you boot and clean from the recovery partition.
    But as someone pointed out in this forum, you can not legally transfer your 10.9 purchase to the new owner of your MBP. So you shall sell it with the OS X it came from factory.

3. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

yup , it will be on mavericks in recovery switching back the the old os is easy with cd's but not without.

4. kapooty macrumors newbie

To factory reset my 2011 Air (with Mavericks installed), I just booted the computer in recovery mode (command + R) and then ran Disk Utility to erase the drive. Then in the Mac OSX Utility windows, you should have the option to install Mavericks onto your (blank) drive. However, in order to do this, you need to provide your icloud info and password.

5. th3godf4th3r thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys heres another question, the buddy i sold it to is getting a SSD. so another question would be is how do i put mavericks onto that before connecting it so i have something to boot from?

6. terzinator macrumors 6502

wait, what?

Sorry to hijack, but it's kinda relevant...

So, if a person upgraded to Mavericks, and then decided to sell a year later, do they have to downgrade the OS to the factory-installed version?

Do people know this? How do they downgrade? Do they have to download the OS from Apple and install it over Mavericks?

And Mavericks is free, so what do you mean by "your 10.9 purchase"?

7. nathairtras macrumors member

Since it is from the Mac app store, even though it isn't a purchase, it is a transaction. If the terms do have such a "no transfer" clause, I suppose they could be saying that a new user needs to register with the app store and make the transaction.

Why? Who knows. Tracking users, maybe. Reporting total Mavericks users. (If you download it now, and the next user downloads it, that's two users instead of one!)

8. priitv8 macrumors 68020

Well, I just brought up what user Bruno09 said in this thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=17957190

But the license terms state it unambiguously:
    Source: SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR OS X MAVERICKS

9. terzinator macrumors 6502

Yeah, but...

I really think it's a technicality. How many previous operating systems are available?

Like, if I had an old PowerBook, that came with 10.3... and over the years, I upgraded to 10.4, 10.5, 10.6. And I finally sold the thing for a dollar at a garage sale. How the devil would I "downgrade" it back to 10.3?

10. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

You could supply the DVD for 10.6. The issue here is that downloadable versions don't have DVDs, and Internet Recovery (not that a 2009 machine has it) will ask for the Apple ID of the purchaser.

The original DVDs should always be supplied anyway since they include Apple Hardware Test and iLife.

11. Mac.User macrumors 6502

If you got a mac with 10.7 and sell it now, how would you get 10.7 again? It's not in the App store.

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

If you run Internet Recovery then it'll download the version that it originally came with, in this case 10.7.

To pre-empt a comment that this contradicts my previous post: If the system originally came with 10.6 then Internet Recovery will prompt for an Apple ID to determine the latest licensed version.

13. th3godf4th3r thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

So the question now is that the buddy that bought it, is getting a SSD drive but he wants to know how he should connect it so that he has something to boot from after he installs it.

how would he do this?

thanks!

14. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Install drive cmd-r on boot and use disk utility to format the drive. After choose internet recovery and it'll download and install mavericks

15. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

As mentioned in the thread, you can just command-r boot to Mavs recovery and erase Macintosh HD with Disk Util, then reinstall the OS. This will give you a fresh install of Mavericks since you are running recovery from the Mavericks version of the 650MB recovery partition on your hard drive.

This does violate Apple's licensing agreement, but the reality is neither Apple nor anybody else cares. It is not like the Apple Police are going to be looking to do anything about it, particularly with Mavs now being free.

As a practical matter, the only issue this presents is if your friend ever goes to reinstall the OS, he will be prompted for the AppleID used to "purchase" Mavs in the App Store, and not having your AppleID, he will be stuck. The solution is for him to login to the App Store with his AppleID and purchase Mavericks. Then if he tries to reinstall he can use his AppleID.

Since this is a 2009 Macbook it will not have the firmware (EFI) based Internet Recovery, so there is no built in way to get the OS on a new SSD. 2010+ Macs do support this.

The best way is before he installs the SSD get a 1GB or larger USB key then use this tool from Apple to make a recovery key. Then once he installs the new SSD he can option key boot from the USB key and use the recovery tools on it to format the drive and download then install Mavericks.

16. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Ugh, so there is no way to sell a MBP with Mavericks installed without using your personal apple ID first? This sucks.

17. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can DL Mavs form the App Store then use that image to make a USB installer then use that to install and you will not be asked for an AppleID during the install. It is during a recovery install that the AppleID is required for the download. But if you install from a stand alone USB key it is not required.

18. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Sounded like a good plan but when I go to download Mavericks on my new computer to make the USB installer it tells me "Mavericks cannot be installed on this computer". There must be a block against re-downloading it to a new machine that shipped with it?

19. AlecMyrddyn macrumors 6502

If you have the new 13" rMBP, it's running a custom release of Mavericks right now. Once 10.9.1 is released you should be able to make a USB installer that will work.

Since you are talking about a new machine, why not just boot with Command-R from the recovery partition to do a clean install?

20. FuNGi macrumors 65816

FuNGi

Hi. Well, I'm not wanting a clean install per se. I've wiped my older 2011 15" MBP for resale and don't want to enter my iCloud ID. So I'm trying to download the Mavericks installer on my new 15" rMBP (which is amazing BTW) so that I may create a bootable installer USB using these instructions. It says Mavericks cannot be installed on this machine (the rMBP).

Taking your cue that it is because of the unique build for the rMBP's I tried the same on my ol' 2010 MBA that is already running Mavericks. It's installing! Thanks for the tip. I'll make the installer USB using that download then.

Cheers Alec,