Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
About three weeks ago we purchased what we thought was the latest MBP from an Apple Sore and began the process of migrating to it. Unfortunately we didn't have sufficient time to do so prior to a holiday abroad, so left the MBP in a partially populated state. Yesterday we got an announcement from Apple that they had upgrade and lowered the price - doh! What we would like to do is to reset it to factory conditions (it has never been used) and negotiate with Apple to replace it.

How do we reset it to factory condition - it is a 2.6ghz unit with a 1TB 'flash' drive.
Can anyone help please?

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
How do we reset it to factory condition - it is a 2.6ghz unit with a 1TB 'flash' drive.
Can anyone help please?

Turn off the computer. Press re power button and press and hold "command + R." This will boot to the recovery partition. From here, you need to use Disk utility to initialize the drive, and then you can install a new copy of OSX on the now blank drive.

----------

They set it to factory defaults as soon as you return it.

Keep in mind that some people may want to protect their personal data. Just sending it in as is may not be sufficient to guarantee that the data stays private.

UncleheFTy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2009
Cheshire
Both, thanks very much for responding so quickly. I took the machine to my local Apple Store, they replaced it without quibble and wiped the drive 'before my very eyes' :)

They had 'refreshed' their offer last Tuesday and had improved the spec and reduced the price - so now we have the biggest, fastest MPB and a bit of a refund into the bargain - Thank you Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.