Factory reset of a used mini

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by Neiloid, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Neiloid macrumors member

Hi
    I just got through the post a used 2011 2.3 mini with stock ram. The previous owner appears to have cleared off all his stuff and I've started to use it but I'm not sure what I should do first.
    It's running lion and is stock. Should I do a factory reset and then instal Mountain Lion first thing?
    It's saying that there are 4 app upgrades, one of which is Mountain Lion can I just press go and instal it of do I need to load it onto a usb drive?
    Should I do the ML update before factory reset?
    I'm happy to migrate stuff from my Shuttle PC later.
    This is my first mac but have an an ipad and an iphone 4S and I want to sync all three but I'm sure I can figure that :confused:
    Sorry for the noob questions but I thought better to ask before I get in too deep.
    Cheers, Neil

2. KScottMyers macrumors regular

Hi Neiloid,

There is no factory reset on the Mac. A good clean install would be my first choice just to make sure things are setup properly from the beginning.

You could just download ML and do the upgrade in-place or make a bootable USB disk and do a straight install. The choice is yours. A little searching on this forum will give you all the details.

Have fun.

3. Neiloid thread starter macrumors member

Hi
    Thanks for your reply.
    I only said about the factory reset as it says about it on page 56 of the "Hello" booklet.
    I'll get me an 8 gig usb drive and do a clean mountain lion instal.
    Cheers, Neil