Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jonr515

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 11, 2017
Midwest!
I have a friend who just received an iPad that was a gift back, they want to factory reset it, but don't know the passcode. Can this be done by connecting the iPad to a laptop through iTunes or is there another way to do it?

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
I have a friend who just received an iPad that was a gift back, they want to factory reset it, but don't know the passcode. Can this be done by connecting the iPad to a laptop through iTunes or is there another way to do it?
DFU restore will remove the passcode but not activation lock (iCloud/AppleID password). If the phone isn't signed into iCloud then the DFU restore will work perfectly, if it's still signed in then it will need to be removed from the device list by the original person who set it up before the restore will work.

vishvajit

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2023
There are a few ways to do so:
  1. Using iTunes: If the iPad is connected to a laptop that has iTunes installed, the iPad can be reset using iTunes. To do so, the iPad must be in recovery mode. To put the iPad in recovery mode, follow these steps:
  2. Disconnect the USB cable from the iPad if it is connected.
  3. Turn off the iPad.
  4. Connect the iPad to a computer with a USB cable.
  5. Hold down the Home button and connect the USB cable to the iPad.
  6. Continue holding the Home button until the "Connect to iTunes" screen appears.
  7. Open iTunes on the computer and click on the "Restore iPad" button.
  8. Using Finder (macOS Catalina and later): If the iPad is running iOS 12.4 or later and is connected to a Mac running macOS Catalina or later, the iPad can be reset using Finder. To do so, follow these steps:
  9. Connect the iPad to the Mac with a USB cable.
  10. Open Finder and click on the iPad in the Finder sidebar.
  11. Click on the "General" tab.
  12. Click on the "Erase iPad" button.
  13. Enter the passcode if prompted.
  14. Confirm that you want to erase the iPad and wait for the process to complete.
  15. Without iTunes or a computer: If the iPad is not connected to a computer and the passcode is forgotten, it may be possible to reset the iPad using the "Find My" app if it was set up on the iPad. If "Find Me" is enabled, follow these steps:
  16. Go to iCloud.com on a computer or another iOS device.
  17. Sign in with the Apple ID associated with the iPad.
  18. Click on "Find iPhone."
  19. Click on the iPad in the list of devices.
  20. Click on the "Erase iPad" button.
  21. Confirm that you want to erase the iPad.
If none of the above methods work, your friend may need to contact Apple Support for further assistance.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Passcode is the least of their worries. If it wasn’t erased, the person who gave it to them probably didn’t remove their Apple ID either, and it’ll be under Activation Lock.

Reactions: TorbenIbsen
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.