Factory resetting a used iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EliteDeforce, Aug 26, 2013.

1. EliteDeforce macrumors newbie

I have an older iMac that I got from a friend and I want to factory reset it before I start using it. It has Mountain Lion and I've read the procedure for factory resetting but I have concerns about reinstalling the OS. Basically, I'm afraid if I wipe the computer and then get to the point where I have to download ML again and it doesn't work that I will have a bricked machine. How can I tell if the OS will download again without licensing issues, etc?

Thanks.

2. simsaladimbamba

3. EliteDeforce thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't really want to spend any $$ whatsoever. I don't mind just clearing out what's on it already, but if there are any real benefits to a full factory reset that heavily outweigh just deleting all the files on it, I'd like to know.

4. simsaladimbamba

Since the computer is not in front of us to actually see, what is on there, we cannot decide for you, if it is advisable to just create a new admin account and delete the old one or if a clean install would be beneficial.

If the machine runs okay and does not show you the middle finger, then leave it as it is and just use it with a new admin account.

5. EliteDeforce thread starter macrumors newbie

This is the perfect solution, thank you so much. So absolutely everything from the old account will be removed?

6. simsaladimbamba

Everything that resides within the old user's account folder, which includes personal settings and such, but not applications.

7. EliteDeforce thread starter macrumors newbie

That's actually a good thing because it has MS Office already installed :p. Thanks!