Factory restore Lion before selling iMac

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by straber, Dec 30, 2012.

1. straber macrumors member

I'm selling my 24" iMac which originally came with Leopard, but I have since upgraded to Lion. I'm trying to do a restore before transferring ownership, but it's asking me to provide the password to the app store account used to purchase Lion. I don't want to use my password because if a restore needs to be done in the future, I don't want to give out my password, but also, $30 was spent to put Lion on this iMac, and I should be able to keep it on there for the person who buys it from. Any ideas what my options are here to keep Lion on the iMac without having to give out my password to the person who bought it?

I appreciate any help!

2. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

I had the same issue a while back but with Mountain Lion on an iMac which originally came with Snow Leopard.

In the end i factory restored it the way you were planning to do, but when i sold it i only provided the original factory disks and explained that whilst it currently runs a fresh copy of Mountain Lion, if something happens to it they would need to restore from the original discs and then upgrade to newer versions on their own.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

You should be able to install the OS without reference to the AppleID if you make a disk from the InstallESD.dmg inside the Installer app that you get from the App Store. You'll need an 8Gb flash drive.

4. G-Mo macrumors 6502

G-Mo

Regardless of if you create the alternate install media, the OS license is tied to the Apple ID, not the machine... The EULA does not permit you to (legally) pass it on.