factory restore macbook air

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
If i am selling my Macbook air how will i go about restoring it to a like new condition? thanks i am on mountain lion by the way.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
Do u have the original install disc? Reload OS from scratch.

If u don't, and I assume you have no original nothing on-hand since u asked, u will have to download ML from Apple, then create a bootable USB HD or thumb drive with it (8G minimum), boot with that (USB) then run disk util and erase everything (with partition) on the Internal drive, THEN re-install OS from scratch from the USB HD/thumbdrive.

Here's an excellent article on how to do that.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Do u have the original install disc? Reload OS from scratch.

If u don't, and I assume you have no original nothing on-hand since u asked, u will have to download ML from Apple, then create a bootable USB HD or thumb drive with it (8G minimum), boot with that (USB) then run disk util and erase everything (with partition) on the Internal drive, THEN re-install OS from scratch from the USB HD/thumbdrive.

Here's an excellent article on how to do that.
Since he's using a MacBook Air disks wouldn't have come with the computer, so creating a bootable Flash Drive would be the only option really.

mabaty

macrumors member
Apr 18, 2011
Boise, ID
you should have a bootable volume already. hold down Option right after the start up dong, see if an orange Recovery volume appears.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
you should have a bootable volume already. hold down Option right after the start up dong, see if an orange Recovery volume appears.
when i reboot and hold option R do i just choose reinstall mountain lion? will that delete all my stuff first?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
when i reboot and hold option R do i just choose reinstall mountain lion? will that delete all my stuff first?
No that won't delete everything. While in that recovery screen start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and proceed with the install. That will give you a system with nothing but the OS.

It will take some time as the OS will be downloaded from Apple's servers.

Yankeesxd

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
No that won't delete everything. While in that recovery screen start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and proceed with the install. That will give you a system with nothing but the OS.

It will take some time as the OS will be downloaded from Apple's servers.
ok thanks alot for the reply and by clicking install you mean clicking " resinstall mountain lion" right?

folewar

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2014
If your new-to-you Macbook Air is running Lion or Mountain Lion - start your Macbook Air while holding down the command + r key and when you see the recovery menu - go to disk utility and erase/format your hard drive to Mac OS Journaled Extended - after you have done that - exit disk utility and reinstall your OS.

if your Macbook is a 2010 or older - it came with a USB Installer. Stick that USB installer in your USB Port - turn your macbook on while holding down the options key and select your USB installer as your boot drive - again, go to disk utility - format/erase the drive then proceed to install.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.