factory restore macbook air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Yankeesxd, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Yankeesxd macrumors member

If i am selling my Macbook air how will i go about restoring it to a like new condition? thanks i am on mountain lion by the way.

2. Mrbobb macrumors 601

Do u have the original install disc? Reload OS from scratch.

If u don't, and I assume you have no original nothing on-hand since u asked, u will have to download ML from Apple, then create a bootable USB HD or thumb drive with it (8G minimum), boot with that (USB) then run disk util and erase everything (with partition) on the Internal drive, THEN re-install OS from scratch from the USB HD/thumbdrive.

Here's an excellent article on how to do that.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Since he's using a MacBook Air disks wouldn't have come with the computer, so creating a bootable Flash Drive would be the only option really.

4. mabaty macrumors member

you should have a bootable volume already. hold down Option right after the start up dong, see if an orange Recovery volume appears.

5. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

when i reboot and hold option R do i just choose reinstall mountain lion? will that delete all my stuff first?

6. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

No that won't delete everything. While in that recovery screen start Disk Utility and erase Macintosh HD. Then quit Disk Util and proceed with the install. That will give you a system with nothing but the OS.

It will take some time as the OS will be downloaded from Apple's servers.

7. Yankeesxd thread starter macrumors member

ok thanks alot for the reply and by clicking install you mean clicking " resinstall mountain lion" right?

8. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yep.

9. Mrbobb macrumors 601

5 gig download. Took 2 hrs with my 2.5 mbit DSL.

10. folewar macrumors newbie

If your new-to-you Macbook Air is running Lion or Mountain Lion - start your Macbook Air while holding down the command + r key and when you see the recovery menu - go to disk utility and erase/format your hard drive to Mac OS Journaled Extended - after you have done that - exit disk utility and reinstall your OS.

if your Macbook is a 2010 or older - it came with a USB Installer. Stick that USB installer in your USB Port - turn your macbook on while holding down the options key and select your USB installer as your boot drive - again, go to disk utility - format/erase the drive then proceed to install.