factory restore or just download osx mavericks?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jetlagged, Mar 15, 2014.

1. jetlagged macrumors 6502

Hey folks. I own a Macbook Air 2012 13" 1.8/8gb/256 computer. I haven't updated to OSX mavericks yet. I'm thinking if should i just upgrade it or do a factory restore then install osx mavericks.

Thing is, I have a ton of travel videos I want to finish editing and tons of raw pictures I want to finish editing in lightroom before installing osx mavericks. But not sure if it's going to make a difference. I use iMovie for video editing to upload to youtube, and I'm really quite familiar with it, and I dont want to really learn how to edit with the new version of iMovie until i finish my work.

i dont have any problems with my computer at this time. just need opinions as to what i should do? also whats the difference between clean install?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

A clean install involves completely erasing the drive then reinstalling the OS then after that manually reinstalling and configuring all your apps and manually moving your data back.

Unless you are having some problem with your Mac, there is no reason to go through all this hassle. just install Mavericks over top of the existing install and all your data and settings will still be there as they were.

Backup before you do this just to be safe.

3. chrfr macrumors 603

Agreed, 100%.

4. xgman macrumors 601

xgman

5. hiddenmarkov macrumors 6502a

I'd go with upgrade install as well.

Unless you happen to be be a developer who maybe put on newer/different versions of say perl than what is shipped in the os it should be a smooth upgrade process. For what I mentioned I know with perl mac os had stock perl be primary again, but I was expecting that.