Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aCondor

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
United States
I want to restore my Macbook Pro 2011 to its factory settings. There were a few questions I had for anyone who has preformed this operation before:

1.) When I inserted the Snow Leopard disc and initiated the restore, I had the option to erase the files on the drive. This is what I plan to do. However, I have the option to erase "Macintosh HD" with 319 GB capacity or the Hitachi drive, which had a labeled 320 GB capacity. What is the extra 1 GB on the Hitachi factory drive? I'm guessing I don't want to delete that.

2.) I've searched to try to find the applications that are included with the Applications Install DVD, but only find torrent links. Does this DVD include everything that came with my MBP upon purchase? I've noticed FaceTime is a paid app. My question is, would I lose any of the default applications by doing this factory restore?

Thanks in advance for any advice, suggestions or input you can provide.

iMacDragon

macrumors 68020
Oct 18, 2008
UK
You can pick either option for drive, the slight extra space for the 'full' drive is due to hidden EFI partition, but theres nothing there to worry about.

As for point 2, unless you bought it with any optional pre installed applications, a full install of OS and Apps dvd should include everything, including facetime, as it's not an app store app for the 2011 models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.