Factory restore with App Store purchased Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by definitive, Dec 18, 2011.

1. definitive, Dec 18, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2011

definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

I am in the process of selling an iMac, and was wondering how a system restore would work with an App store purchased Lion. I had a SL restore CD, but I lost it, so I'm thinking of buying Lion through App Store and using that. I'm thinking of installing Lion as an upgrade, and then wiping the system so it would be like factory-sold where it prompts the user for their info, etc. Since I don't have the official USB version, is there something I should know? Will a backup copy of the OSX be stored on a separate partition? This is for a 2008 C2D iMac.

Also, how does it run on 2gb or RAM compared to SL?

Edit: Another thing I forgot to ask - If the buyer decides to restore the system again and reinstall Lion, would they need the original App Store account that was used to purchase the copy of Lion to install it from the recovery partition?

2. StevenMeyer macrumors member

StevenMeyer

First off, you can use any downloaded lion app to perform the install, w/o a server to net boot I suggest using a target boot and install to the computer you want booting from another computer of external hdd w/ osx installed. This way it is a clean fresh install, which by far is the best choice. 2gb is always a little low IMO, I like 4 or more.

3. definitive thread starter macrumors 68000

definitive