Factory unlock and jailbreak

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by frag2, Jan 29, 2012.

1. frag2 macrumors member

I have a factory unlocked iphone 4 [direct from Apple in Canada]. I'm kind of new to the whole JB thing and I read up the iclarified guides to see how to go about doing it.

I'm a bit confused about the whole concern with baseband and stuff like that-so should I be using pwnage tool to create a custom ISPW or use redsn0w? I've read redsn0w mucks with the baseband [whatever that means/does] and I don't want to screw anything up.

2. labman macrumors 604

labman

if you are factory unlocked then you don't have to worry about unlocking! ;)

3. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

If your phone is factory unlocked there is absolutely no way a jailbreak will mess with it. That unlock is tied to your IMEI number in Apple's database, I believe, has nothing to do with baseband, firmware, etc.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Use redsn0w. For whatever reason the team has decided not to update pwnagetool with all the jailbreak fixes redsn0w received. Both programs can preserve baseband now. You don't have to worry about baseband anyway being factory unlocked. I have a factory unlocked 4 and 4 s and jailbroke them using redsn0w and absinthe.

5. frag2 thread starter macrumors member

thanks. ill give it a shot tonight