Factory unlock ip4 data speeds

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chestvrg, Jun 14, 2011.

1. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I bought a factory unlocked iPhone 4 directly from the Apple Store and after conducting numerous speediest the fastest down speeds I'm getting are like 1.80Mbps. Now I remember that when I had an AT&T version of the iPhone 4, I would sometimes get almost 6Mbps down on non-rush times (like midnight).

Is anyone with a factory unlocked iPhone experiencing the same data speeds I am? If so I'll have to go return this unit to Apple.

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

It doesnt make any difference what 3G speeds you're getting if the phone is locked to AT&T or unlocked.
    It all has to do with the local area coverage and network load at that particular time.
    If your device gets noticeably slower speeds at the same time and place than another iphone 4 then you should consider having it exchanged at an Apple store.

3. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thanks, in meantime I will keep conducting these speed tests to see if any improvement comes along.

4. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

Do you still have your AT&T iPhone? To test your theory, you can run speed tests simeoultenously from the same location and see if you get different results.

5. WMuntean macrumors regular

Or find a friend who has one. Post back with those results. I'm curious, though I suspect there shouldn't be a difference.

6. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I no longer have it. I had to sell the AT&T version in order to buy me the factory unlocked as it was very expensive ($801 including taxes). Wish I had an AT&T version handy. But last night while I kept testing I did see an improvement in data speed. I'm attaching a snapshot.

Attached Files:

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Makes sense.
    There shouldnt be no speed difference.

8. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Yup. Unlocking a phone only enables its use with other carriers and does not have any impact on transmission rates.

9. Fiesta macrumors newbie

Fiesta

Count yourself lucky. I would be happy with less than half of that. 3G is so poor where I'm from (Scotland).

10. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg