Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
So I've read that push apps are prevented from working if an iPhone is software unlocked.

How about factory unlocked, does the same restriction occur?

Regards,

Greg

megamanbnmaster

macrumors 6502
Jan 26, 2008
Actually, it's not whether or not the iPhone is unlocked, but when it's activated. Factory unlocked phones requires no specific sim card to activate, therefore the security tokens are created from the Apple server. A hacktivated phone (a phone activated by quickpwn, pwnagetool, or redsn0w), does not activate with the ATT server, thus making it not have the security tokens.

To answer your question, a factory unlocked phone will activate legitimately, therefore the Push problem shouldn't occur. That is, if you activate the iPhone first and then jailbreak it.

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
just thinking out loud, but if I

a) purchased a 2nd hand 3G that had been activated on O2 in the UK and then jail broke it, would that work with push apps?

OR

b) or puchased a brand new pay as you go iPhone from O2, activated using the enclosed O2 SIM, then jail broke it and put my Voda SIM in there, would that work with push apps?

Cheers,

Greg

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Actually, it's not whether or not the iPhone is unlocked, but when it's activated. Factory unlocked phones requires no specific sim card to activate, therefore the security tokens are created from the Apple server. A hacktivated phone (a phone activated by quickpwn, pwnagetool, or redsn0w), does not activate with the ATT server, thus making it not have the security tokens.

To answer your question, a factory unlocked phone will activate legitimately, therefore the Push problem shouldn't occur. That is, if you activate the iPhone first and then jailbreak it.

Hmm, re-reading this I think my assumption that if I buy a O2 pay as you go phone here in the UK, activate it, then jailbreak it and put a Vodafone SIM in I will be ok????

Hopefully :D

Cheers,

Greg

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
Sorry for the bump, but does anyone have a view on my theories below?

Cheers,

Greg

just thinking out loud, but if I

a) purchased a 2nd hand 3G that had been activated on O2 in the UK and then jail broke it, would that work with push apps?

OR

b) or puchased a brand new pay as you go iPhone from O2, activated using the enclosed O2 SIM, then jail broke it and put my Voda SIM in there, would that work with push apps?

Cheers,

Greg

GregorioM

macrumors newbie
Jul 10, 2009
Hmm, re-reading this I think my assumption that if I buy a O2 pay as you go phone here in the UK, activate it, then jailbreak it and put a Vodafone SIM in I will be ok????

I brought a 3Gs on 02 pay as you go and activated it. I then jailbroke it (purplera1n), then Unlocked it (Ultrasn0w) and never had a problem with push notifications. BTW, I'm now living in Macedonia, using a local SIM and no problems with either the iPhone or push notifications.

G

kitenski

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2008
Leeds, UK
I brought a 3Gs on 02 pay as you go and activated it. I then jailbroke it (purplera1n), then Unlocked it (Ultrasn0w) and never had a problem with push notifications. BTW, I'm now living in Macedonia, using a local SIM and no problems with either the iPhone or push notifications.

G

Superb, thanks alot, just what I was hoping for :cool::D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.