iPhone Factory Unlock?

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by wphan, Oct 18, 2012.

1. wphan macrumors newbie

Hi guys, I have a question which is if I get a factory unlock on my iphone 4 from AT&T does that mean I have to update to ios 6 or can I just stay at 5.1.1?
    If I have to update is there any way to go back to ios5.1.1?

2. TouchArchive macrumors member

TouchArchive

1.You can update without any problem.
    2.Downgrade you need SHSH file,how to get him?
    Stay in 5.1.1 and use redsh0w for jailbreak.
    Run Cydia lake user. Your SHSH file saved on Cydia server.

3. wphan thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm still confuse as to what your saying. So I can factoy unlock my phone without updating to ios 6?

4. TouchArchive macrumors member

TouchArchive

Factory unlocks you can make for any version of iOS.That's mean you can use your iPhone with another GSM carrier .

5. wphan thread starter macrumors newbie

That I know but when I get the factory unlock I have to plug it into itnes right and wont it make me restore and force me to update to ios 6. Am I correct?

6. TouchArchive macrumors member

TouchArchive

Plug in to iTunes to show the mess that your iPhone has unlock,but not strongly to update,only ask you if you want.

7. thedeejay macrumors 65816

thedeejay

When he meant was, yes you can factory unlock the phone without upgrading your iOS. Usually when they tell you the phone has been unlocked they ask you to plug into iTunes and verify that it has been unlocked right after you restart your iPhone (after which it gives the message of a successful unlock).

8. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Plugging in to iTunes doesn't force you to upgrade your iOS version, if there is a newer version it asks you if you want to, you can say no.

9. wphan thread starter macrumors newbie

10. bripab007 macrumors 6502

AT&T now tells you to just submit a form on their website to do factory unlock, FWIW: att.com/deviceunlock

(I used this process successfully a few weeks ago when selling an old iPhone)

11. wphan thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, do you know about how long before a reply from them?

12. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Yes, I know exactly how long it took because I submitted a request through that site a few weeks ago when I sold an old iPhone.

I received a response that they'd received my request just a short time after submitting it. It estimated 5-7 business days until complete. Then I got an email 5 business days later saying it was complete, and I could now restore phone as new in iTunes and it'd be unlocked.

13. wphan thread starter macrumors newbie

Do I have to restore?