factory(?) unlocked 3GS upgrading to iOS4

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by fongyuen, Jul 12, 2010.

1. fongyuen macrumors 6502

i'm helping a friend upgrade her 3.1.2 3GS phone to iOS4 and i'm just trying to find out as much info as possible before i begin.

she's currently running on T-mobile so her phone is def. unlocked but i don't see cydia installed. i'm wondering if her phone was factory unlocked, she received it in taiwan as a gift.

if it is factory unlocked, does doing a straight upgrade to ios4 end up locking her phone, or should i use the same pwnage custom build i used for my att 3GS to upgrade to ios4? thanks.

2. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone else have a factory unlocked 3GS here in the US that you just did an itunes upgrade to ios4 and retained the unlock?

3. ClutchThese macrumors 65816

ClutchThese

it's factory unlocked. Just upgrade it in itunes and youre good to go.

4. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

Check iTunes it will give you a msg that the phone is unlocked if it is factory unlocked. It is possible that they jb unlocked and then removed cydia. If you just update to 4.0 and your not factory unlocked. You will be stuck with no jailbreak at least for now.

If you know that the phone came though US sources then it's not factory unlocked I promise you.

6. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

true, how do i check in itunes if it's factory unlocked?

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

If its really a factory unlocked iphone it doesnt matter if you update to any firmware or restore it as many times as you want.
    It will forever be unlocked.

8. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

I don't know of any way to verify that without restoring your firmware, which would upgrade your phone to 4.0...and lock it up if it is not factory unlocked. Best to wait until there's a jailbreak and unlock for 4.0 just in case.

9. fongyuen thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, update on the situation. looked up the model # online (MC132TA) and it is indeed factory unlocked. so just updated to ios4 through itunes and it's still working on t-mobile. thanks everyone.