factory unlocked ip4 & tmobile data

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by curiousgg, Aug 13, 2011.

1. curiousgg macrumors member

Hello,
    I apologize for what may be a simple question.

I've previously used a jailbroken/unlocked 3G with my current T-mobile plan for a couple years.

Today, I bought a factory unlocked 4G from the Apple Store, went to T-mobile for a new microSIM, they ported my existing number.

I can make calls and send/receive texts, however my data refuses to work no matter which APN I use (internet2.voicestream.com, epc.tmobile.com, etc).

T-mobile customer service is suggesting I jailbreak (which I may in the future anyway as I've come to depend on some apps there), but my data should work without jailbreaking right?

Do you guys have any clues as to what I'm doing wrong? I'm worried that somehow they didn't transfer my whole account from the SIM to the microSIM.

2. aneftp macrumors 601

What data plan are you using on tmobile USA? If you have the Android/blackberry data plan you will be fine.

But if you are using those cheap tzones or $10 web plans tmobile started blocking those data plans on many smartphones a year or two ago. I say "some smartphones" because not all unlocked smartphone data is blocked. Very weird thing of tmobile.

3. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

I am using a $10 web plan, but when I called T-mobile they said it was still active on my account; I don't use a lot of it.

4. labman macrumors 604

labman

turn off 3G you can only use edge even though it's unlocked. T-mobile 3G is a different frequency.

5. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

Yes, T-Mobile 3G will not work on any iPhone. Sorry. Have to use Edge.

I believe the APN is wap.voicestream.com to get Edge working on the iPhone.

At least thats what it was for me when I used the iPhone 2G unlocked with T-Mobile service (up until last summer).

6. curiousgg thread starter macrumors member

I've had an iPhone before on T-mobile (the 3G phone) so I know to turn off 3G data and I am comfortable enough with the data speed of Edge to splurge on a factory unlocked iPhone 4.

In either case, I left the apn as internet2.voicestream.com and the mms apn as wap.voicestream.com. After a day or so of relying on wifi cellular data and MMS both kicked in. All good. Now even if I'm ready to jailbreak (really missing sbsettings, bitesms for starters), I can't because my iOS is 4.3.5. I guess I'm going to have to enjoy the phone the way Apple decided it should be used. It's going to be an experience.

Thanks all.