Factory Unlocked iPhone 3gs

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dittobuff, Jan 6, 2010.

1. dittobuff macrumors newbie

hi there... this is my first time to post here... just have a question... i recently bought a factory unlocked iPhone 3gs and was wondering if AT&T 3g network will work if i have a data plan from AT&T?... i am currently with T-Mobile and i know that Tmobile uses a different frequency than AT&T and that i won't have a 3g capability on the iPhone... just want to finish my contract with TMobile and will switch to AT&T soon... thank you so much for your responses in advance....=)

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes. If you get service with AT&T, your phone will have 3G where available.

3. golgdkc macrumors newbie

Factory Unlocked 3GS Iphone

I've just bought a factory unlocked 3GS and I intend to continue to use my T-mobile account. Is this an issue? My understanding is that T-Mobile have 3G service.

4. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

T-Mobile 3G bands are different than AT&T's. You will be able to get data, but only EDGE speeds.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Unless T-Mobile USA uses unique bands I don't think that will be a problem: the iPhones sold in the US are physically the same as those sold in Europe and the ones we get here will work on pretty much any networks 3G covering a few different bands...

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What he said. No iPhone 3G service on the iPhone with tmobile.

7. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I've just done a very quick Google and it looks like the other posters are better informed that me: T-Mobile USA are using the 1700 band which appears to be unique :(

8. golgdkc macrumors newbie

I just looked T-mobile site and.....
    T-Mobile’s 3G network supports voice and data services consistent with available service and handset offerings. The company today offers multiple phones that are able to operate on the UMTS network. The phones are designed to automatically connect to the best available network (3G or GSM/GPRS/EDGE) to provide the great call quality and rich communication services customers expect from T-Mobile.:confused:

9. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

What does any of that have to do with the iPhone?
    Again, tmobiles 3G frequency is not compatible with any iPhone models. You can only use 2G with them.

10. ste1164 macrumors 6502a

ste1164

Like everyone else has said. It will not work with T-Mobile USA 3G. If you are in the UK T-Mobiles 3G will work with the iPhone.