Factory Unlocked iPhone 4: 4.2.1 or wait? + Baseband Question BONUS!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bella92108, Nov 28, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I have a UK Unlocked on 4.1 right now, and I'd like to go to 4.2 (yeah I want print that bad, lol). It's JB'd with SHSH on file. If I upgrade, will the device still be untethered, or using existing methods will I lose my untethered state of jailbreak?

On a side note, what does the baseband do to a phone? Even though I don't care about unlock since it's factory unlocked, when I upgraded to 4.1 from 4.0, I preserved the original baseband that came with the phone. I've heard baseband can potentially help with reception issues... true or Apple\AT&T sh#$-spouting?

Thanks for the help!

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

Currently, unless you have 3G or old bootrom 3GS, there's is only tethered JB for 4.2.

If you have factory unlock, you don't have to worry about updating the baseband. The phone will forever stay unlock. Sometimes updating baseband does help with signal issue, but more often then not, it just to fix the exploits using to unlock the iPhones. Either way, you don't have to worry about anything.

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

So I read from that that when I do update, let the baseband update (aka turn off Tiny Umbrella's thing) because it might do me some good since I'm Factory Unlocked anyhow... but to wait to update until an untethered release comes out. Okay, Noted, will do :) Thanks!

Here's to hoping we don't have to wait till 4.3 for untethered :)