Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 in Canada; Is it worthwhile?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Edmoil12, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Edmoil12 macrumors member

Apparently the iPhone 4 is going to be sold completely unlocked and contract-free for use on any compatible carrier in Canada or internationally:

http://store.apple.com/ca/browse/home/shop_iphone/family/iphone?mco=OTY2ODA2OQ

The 8GB 3GS is available for C$549, so assuming the 16GB iPhone 4 is C$649, and the 32GB is C$749, would anyone pay this much for one contract free (or to import abroad)?

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Its well worth it IMO.
    Its only a little higher than the noncommitment price we pay here in the US for a locked iphone 4.

3. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

i'm very tempted to bite since i'm getting non contract price anyways... but tax is hecka expensive in canada

4. California King macrumors 65816

Can you actually buy from Apple's Canada website? If so, how much will it cost after taxes? Do you have to pay tariffs?

5. keithano macrumors member

You have to have a Canada address to buy from the Apple store Canada. They will not ship to the United States.

6. California King macrumors 65816

Thanks, that makes sense :)

7. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Any Canadians around here willing to buy+ship to some Americans? I would like an estimate on how much it would cost in total.

phone + tax + shipping + import fee? + your markup = ?

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

I think I'll buy an unsubsidized iPhone so I cam travel with it and use whatever carrier I want. Hopefully the pricing is announced soon.

9. felt. macrumors 6502a

10. Dan in PA macrumors regular

I'll probably be purchasing one from you...:p

11. Nahmeanz macrumors regular

What is the warranty situation if I get a Canadian iPhone 4 to use in the US?

12. icanhasiphone? macrumors regular

Same here haha. :D Either that or drive to Canada myself from San Diego lol.

13. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Definitely worth. I paid no less than $1000 for mine. Great that I don't have to jailbreak or anything when I need to swap SIM cards when I travel.

14. hNicolas macrumors 6502

hNicolas

Best news I've heard all year. It will be well worth buying from apple rather than getting stuck in a 3 year contract. Plus when I travel I can switch the micro sim to a local carrier and not have to pay the crazy roaming package available from my carrier (Rogers) $40.00 for about a half hour talk time in US + $1.00 per MB Data. As a bonus resale value will be much higher. Thank you Apple, screw Rogers, Bell, and Telus!