Factory Unlocked iPhone 4, safe to go to 4.1 right?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by bella92108, Sep 16, 2010.

1. bella92108 macrumors 68000

I saw on Sinful it's possible to go to 4.1 and preserve my existing baseband, so doesn't that mean it's safe to upgrade? Or does that mean that I can upgrade but it won't be able to jailbreak after upgrade? My understanding is that if it preserves the BB that it's able to still be JB'd after. I'm not so concerned with losing unlock (since mine is a UK Factory unlocked iPhone 4, lol)... but don't want to lost my JB.

Sorry for the redundancy in the question, but there's not a lot of info on factory unlocked devices and guidance as to what's ok.

Thanks!

2. djpatrickp macrumors newbie

You will lose your JB. You will never, of course, lose your ability to remain unlocked

3. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

I thought the purpose of maintaining baseband was to preserve the ability to jailbreak.

4. Nick0912 macrumors member

Fixed

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, baseband is about unlocking not jb.
    And since you're factory unlocked you don't need to maintain or worry about your baseband.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

ah how I wish i had a factory unlocked phone..

7. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Cool, thanks for the clarification. So is that to say it's safe to upgrade to 4.1 if I don't care about unlock? My understanding is if I do, I won't be able to jailbreak even if my iPhone's SHSH is on file.

I know it's against the rules to post articles from other sites, so I won't, but it was on the front page of Sinful iPhone where I saw instructions as to how to upgrade to 4.1 while maintaining jailbreak. I assume this is an inaccurate how-to?

8. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

It's very well worth it. I flew from SF to London to get mine. Of course I have airline in the family so there was no cost to jump on the flight, pick it up, and jump on the return flight... but even if not, a quick hop to Canada is like $200 from almost any US city, and when you end up upgrading eventually, you'll always be able to fetch a $200 premium when you sell a factory unlocked iphone :)

I am all over the world and AT&T's roaming rates are horrid, so wherever I go I carry my sim cutter and I grab a prepaid sim at the airport and I'm up and running. :)

9. Navintar macrumors member

I got a UK factory unlocked iPhone as well. I can't get Facetime to work on t-mobile though. Other than that, I love the flexibility and freedom of switching between prepaid sims, since I do have to travel a lot.

10. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah cause we're both on 4.0.. the only place facetime will activate properly is with an AT&T sim and in the US... otherwise your phone will just keep trying to "phone home" by sending a text to the UK activation #... pain in the butt. There are ways around it, but until we're able to do 4.1 it's something we have to live with. Sometimes in certain circumstances it'll allow us to activate on other carriers, but it's hit or miss at best. :-(

11. Djlild7hina macrumors 6502a

yep you are good to go to update to 4.1... 4.0.2 won't be jailbroken anyways... and preserving baseband is only useful for those who software unlock their phone with jailbreak but since yours is factory unlocked you're good to go to update

12. bella92108 thread starter macrumors 68000

So if I upgrade to 4.1, how do I jailbreak? I thought there's no tool to JB a 4.1 device at the moment. How would (can I even?) I use my 4.0.1 SHSH to do it?

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No, you have to wait like the rest off us till the 4.1 JB is out.