Factory Unlocked iPhone 4 says I have service when i don't.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Taffany33, Jun 20, 2014.

1. Taffany33 macrumors newbie

Here's the deal, I bought this iPhone 4 at a yard sale, got it unlocked by AT&T and iTunes, got it switched to current service provider of more then 2 years(metropcs, with no issues) and it works GREAT on the iPhone......for about 5 hrs. Then it starts not being able to send or receive any calls, texts or data, but all the while the phone shows me that I have 3 to 4 bars and 3G. I turn the phone off and most of the time that fixes it, there was a time or two where it didn't. I called Metro PCS, they had me take my sim card out and reinstall it, which also works but it always goes back to showing me I have service when I don't. Metro PCS also did a network refresh....twice, which also did not fix the problem. If I just left it alone, it would eventually come back on but it would take awhile, like a 3-5 hours. After 2 days, I got it switched back to me Android. I recently tried it again, with the same results. Any ideas are greatly appreciated! Thanks, Taff :D:D:D:D:D:D:

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Ahhh, I might be able to help on this one!

I JUST recently (last month and a half) gave an iPhone 3GS to a friend moving to California. It was AT&T also and he is ALSO on Metro PCs. He got AT&T to unlock it for him and the SAME thing you describe happened to him.

According to my friend, what's going on is that Metro PCS uses T-Mobile's network. The default APNs that Metro provides assume LTE connections. The 3GS my friend has (now) and your iPhone 4 are NOT LTE capable. Fortunately, my friend found a Metro employee who is also a Certified Apple Technician who knew what was wrong and fixed it in about 20 minutes.

I do not KNOW exactly what the issue is, but call or go to Metro and explain to them that you need APNs for a 3G only iPhone 4. Or do a search on Google and configure it yourself if you can. It all comes down to the wrong APNs.

This is my understanding of this.

3. Taffany33 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for you response. You're are the first person to give me any glimmer of hope, lol. I have switched my service to the iphone 4 and changed the APN settings, like I said before it usually works for a few hours, but I will report back later this evening whether it worked it didn't. Thanks again eyoungren

4. Crichton333 macrumors 6502

Crichton333

When this happened on my old 4 it was beacause the SIM card was floating around in there and losing connection. Either try a different SIM chip or cleaning the port. I tried out a couple of different SIMs, never happended again.

5. Taffany33 thread starter macrumors newbie

The sim itself seems pretty snug in its little holder thingy, not sure about the holder thingy itself. I guess cleaning the port will be my next step. Any tips?

----------

It did it again. :( I'm starting to think there's something wrong with the phone itself. I did buy it at a yard sale. lol

6. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Bummer. Maybe take it to a Metro PCS store, explain that it's not LTE capable and ask them to program it correctly? IDK.

The only carrier I have ever been on is Sprint, so other than relating what happened to my friend that's about all I can do for you.

I sure hope you find a solution!