factory unlocked iPhone and tethering?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by andiwm2003, Oct 13, 2011.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Hi,

if I buy a factory unlocked iPhone from Apple will it allow tethering on all GSM SIM's?

With an ATT locked phone you have to get ATT to allow tethering but if the Phone is factory unlocked is tethering always allowed? I'm asking because if I buy a local Sim abroad then I can't imagine that they can remotely control on a phone if thethering is allowed on the iPhone. So if tehtering is blocked by default that would be a big drawback.

Has anybody with a factory unlocked 3GS or 4 tested this?

Thanks.

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

During the authentication process features on your phone can be enabled or disabled, so your account needs to be enabled for tethering by that carrier for tethering to work.

The SIM identifies who you are and carries some location information to help with initial search frequencies for faster startup.

The description in Wikipedia is pretty good.

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

The carrier has to turn it on and off unless you hack the phone. it is not a function of if the phone is locked or unlocked.

4. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

thanks. but if this is true why are there phones out there that allowed people to tether on ATT although they had no tethering contract? how does the carrier through the SIM find out where the data is going?

5. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

They do it by jail breaking the iPhone to enable tethering. The carrier can detect this by the type of packets that are sent/received from the phone itself.

6. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I don't know the process for hacking a phone and interfering with the communication between carrier and phone since I have no desire to steal services from a carrier.

7. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Its called "Jailbreaking" you can then set the phone to tether.

8. andiwm2003 thread starter macrumors 601

andiwm2003

Thanks. Well, I definately do not want to jailbreak. I guess I'll have to find local SIM's that allow tethering. I can imagine that they will be available. More expensive for sure but if it's just a few times per year it should be ok.