Factory unlocked iphone on ATT?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by nikosb, Feb 24, 2011.

1. nikosb macrumors newbie

I have a factory unlocked iPhone which I have bought overseas and I am planning to come to the US so I am shopping for plans. I have used my iphone before in the US with T-Mobile but it is only compatible with the EDGE network which is not good. My questions are:

1) Can I use my iPhone with a prepaid ATT plan such as the Simple Rate Plan? I've read that people go through tricks like buying a cheap prepaid phone and then swapping the SIM into the iphone or other less straightforward processes. Could I go into a ATT store, get a SIM card, activate it and it will work (like I did it with T-Mobile) or is it more complicated than that?

2) In case I can use my iPhone with a prepaid ATT SIM card I would like to have 3G data access too. On the ATT website it says that I can add a data plan to the Simple Rate Plan. Does that mean I can add a data plan such as Data Plus (200MB for $15) or is it limited to the (100MB for $20). Has anyone done it?

Thank you in advance,

Nikos

2. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

Why on Earth would you purchase a factory unlocked iphone just to use it on AT&T? It would have been much cheaper just to buy it in the US. You can still use it with a GoPhone SIM and you can purchase a data package to use 3G as well.

I do this with my iphone 4 and I can tether, facetime, etc.

3. nikosb thread starter macrumors newbie

You should have asked "where on earth" not "Why on Earth" :) I don't live in the US so I bought an iPhone 3GS in my country last year. I will be coming to the US for work and that's why I was asking about my options with a factory unlocked iPhone.

So which data package could I add with a GoPhone SIM? Can I add the Data Plus (200MB for $15)? Is that the one you have?

4. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

You can go to the AT&T store, but don't tell them it's for your iphone; some employees get a little hinky about it, while some are cool. Just tell them you want to buy a pre-paid SIM and how much you want on it.

5. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone