Factory Unlocked Iphone question?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by CaneCollegeboy, Jul 28, 2010.

1. CaneCollegeboy macrumors regular

Hi guys sorry if this is a noob question but here goes. From my limited understanding if someone purchases a factory unlocked iphone (Canada/France/UK/HK) and then brings the phone over to the usa they will have no need to ever jail break the phone correct? You can update with no worries and pick between any cell carriers like At@t/T-moble/ Simple Mobile, right?

2. majid23 macrumors member

majid23

Correct. GSM providers only, such as T-Mobile, AT&T, etc. Not Sprint, Verizon, etc.

3. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Yeah, with a factory unlock you won't have to worry about updating and you can choose any GSM carrier.

4. CaneCollegeboy thread starter macrumors regular

The next questions is where would be the best place to buy a factory unlocked iphone? I can only imagine if and when i would want to upgrade a factory unlocked phone in the future it will fetch a pretty penny from a resale perspective? Is there any reputable online store i could purchase the phone from?

5. still in school macrumors 6502

Canada, France, UK and etc. And before you ask, no, you cannot go to the respective website (apple.ca) and have it shipped here. You must purchased over there.

I currently have a buddy over in France right now but at €629 for 16GB. I'll pass

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Maybe if you know someone in Canada.
    Or wait till canadian unlocked iphones start hitting ebay or CL.

7. CaneCollegeboy thread starter macrumors regular

What about something like a macmall canada division or bestbuy canada etc? Im sure there has to be some store that will be carrying the factory unlocked iphone or is ebay the only realistic option?

8. narimonk macrumors regular

narimonk

That won't work cause it will check against your shipping adress, then tell you to go (or redirect you) to the US version of that store. So you'd have to know someone in that country.

9. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

If you're trying to do online ordering, ebay might be your best bet.

10. AlvinNguyen macrumors 6502a

I'm heading to canada to buy two on Friday (one for my gf, and one for myself). I'm gonna sell this bs AT&T iphone 4 crap...seriously hates their crappy ass service.

11. JEsTer10 macrumors newbie

yeah ebay or CL is looking more plausible. It is going to be more difficult than I had thought to order from the US on Apple Canada website and have it shipped to a friend there. :-/

12. gooddeal macrumors regular

gooddeal

Wow, the price now is $549 for a new 8GB 3Gs w/o contract. So, I guess the 32GB 4G might be around $750 + 15% tax? = 862 or about US$900 + ebay + paypal + international shipping + profit = ~$1200-1300:(

13. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Your math is a little off. One us dollar is worth 1.04 Canadian dollars, you went the wrong way.

14. Kayan macrumors 6502

As far as unlocking goes, you are correct, no need for JB anymore. However, there are still many things that a factory unlocked phone could benefit from a JB: free tether, SBSettings, way better SMS...If I got factory unlocked, I'd still JB just to do these things, but it would be so nice not to worry that if I lost my JB, then I could not use my phone on Tmobile.

15. CaneCollegeboy thread starter macrumors regular

16. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Looks like a scam to me.
    iphone 4G HD?
    Run the other way......

17. douflag macrumors member

Yup. I wouldn't trust that site. You could try myworldphone.com or plemix.com. Be prepared to pay out of both ends though.

18. CaneCollegeboy thread starter macrumors regular

Are there any other legitimate store that sell factory unlocked iphones? I now understand why most people just get an At@t phone and jail break it to choose the cell provider of there choice. At worst case would it be best to get an iphone 4 off of craigslist and just jail break it?

19. Greg M macrumors 6502

Could you report back on how that goes? Can you use a US credit card to buy it? I've got friends in Cleveland and I'm most likely going to visit them this fall. Toronto is about 5 hours away from them so I might take an overnight trip up there to check out the city and buy an unlocked iPhone 4.

20. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you can use a US credit card anywhere in the world where Visa or Mastercard is accepted.
    It shouldnt be a problem buying an unlocked iphone at a Canadian Apple store.

21. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

The only other network you can run the iPhone 4 factory unlocked is on T-Mobile and at that your still suck on edge via the providers data network right?

22. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Correct.