Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HardTalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Okay, so a few weeks ago I bought two iPhone 5’s while on vacation in Dubai. We moved to the middle east earlier this year and I was aware of certain phones not having facetime on them and all that, so anyway, went to a store and the guy said they were factory unlocked iphone 5’s. Paid the man, went home.

Yes I should have bought them from the official Apple store and all that but hear me out. This is where my doubts about one of the phone’s being “official factory unlocked” stem from.. The black one, mine, is probably factory unlocked as I can see the cellular data settings and everything. In the white one, my wife’s phone, I can’t see the cellular data settings, and so had to Google the alternative way of setting up the APN, etc. Did it through a website that does it for you, and voila! Data was working just fine for her as well. (btw just to add, her phone says LTE on/off mine says 3G on/off – we live in Bahrain and there’s no 4G for iPhone here anyway as the networks don’t support it).

My question here now is.. with iOS 7 coming out – will we (more importantly, SHE) be able to upgrade to iOS 7 without having any issues? And more importantly, if the cellular data settings are still blocked, will websites such as unlockit help me get APN settings on iOS7 – or is this affected by which version of iOS you’re using etc.

These are our first iPhones, and we’re loving them – we could well go and try to get her phone changed because a friend knows the store’s owner. But if there won’t be anything to worry about in the future, should we just chill?

Expert advice needed please. Thank you.

anaqvi786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2013
At iOS planet
Okay, so a few weeks ago I bought two iPhone 5’s while on vacation in Dubai. We moved to the middle east earlier this year and I was aware of certain phones not having facetime on them and all that, so anyway, went to a store and the guy said they were factory unlocked iphone 5’s. Paid the man, went home.

Yes I should have bought them from the official Apple store and all that but hear me out. This is where my doubts about one of the phone’s being “official factory unlocked” stem from.. The black one, mine, is probably factory unlocked as I can see the cellular data settings and everything. In the white one, my wife’s phone, I can’t see the cellular data settings, and so had to Google the alternative way of setting up the APN, etc. Did it through a website that does it for you, and voila! Data was working just fine for her as well. (btw just to add, her phone says LTE on/off mine says 3G on/off – we live in Bahrain and there’s no 4G for iPhone here anyway as the networks don’t support it).

My question here now is.. with iOS 7 coming out – will we (more importantly, SHE) be able to upgrade to iOS 7 without having any issues? And more importantly, if the cellular data settings are still blocked, will websites such as unlockit help me get APN settings on iOS7 – or is this affected by which version of iOS you’re using etc.

These are our first iPhones, and we’re loving them – we could well go and try to get her phone changed because a friend knows the store’s owner. But if there won’t be anything to worry about in the future, should we just chill?

Expert advice needed please. Thank you.

Salaamunalaikum,
I assume you installed the APN settings from unlockit.co.nz or another certificate file for the carrier you are using. If you upgrade to iOS 7, the iPhone will still work, as long as you have the carrier file still on there. As long asthe iPhones are not jailbroken, you can just upgrade the OS on the device itself, when it gets released and you should be good.

HardTalk

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your response, yes that is exactly the case.

Once again, much appreciated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.