Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zOdeac

macrumors member
Original poster
May 15, 2011
So I have a 3GS Jail broken still running 4.0 and I am looking to replace this phone with the iPhone 5 when it comes out or i should say when ever it comes out.

A friend lives in the Philippines and he is planing on picking him self up one to so i was thinking of asking him to pick both my wife and I one when he goes.

My question is If for some reason he cant pick one up because there all sold out is it safe to buy one from eBay?

When i get the phone can i do factory restore on the phone well in the US and still have a unlock?

I only ask this because we do travel to the Philippines and i sure would love to not have to buy them cheap phones with sim card and keep my phone with me well i am there.

I really am willing to pay the 1k for the phone and its not the money that i am concerned about as much. Yes im not rich and i really should not spend 1k on a phone but I hate ATT and Verizon wont work for me as CMDA is not in the Philippines.

Any advice would be a help. I could drive to Canada in 5 hours my problem with driving up there is finding some one with one well i am there and one i can buy that's not sold out.

ikaveh

macrumors regular
Nov 2, 2008
here
So I have a 3GS Jail broken still running 4.0 and I am looking to replace this phone with the iPhone 5 when it comes out or i should say when ever it comes out.

A friend lives in the Philippines and he is planing on picking him self up one to so i was thinking of asking him to pick both my wife and I one when he goes.

My question is If for some reason he cant pick one up because there all sold out is it safe to buy one from eBay?

When i get the phone can i do factory restore on the phone well in the US and still have a unlock?

I only ask this because we do travel to the Philippines and i sure would love to not have to buy them cheap phones with sim card and keep my phone with me well i am there.

I really am willing to pay the 1k for the phone and its not the money that i am concerned about as much. Yes im not rich and i really should not spend 1k on a phone but I hate ATT and Verizon wont work for me as CMDA is not in the Philippines.

Any advice would be a help. I could drive to Canada in 5 hours my problem with driving up there is finding some one with one well i am there and one i can buy that's not sold out.
if they say on ebay it is factory unlocked its factory unlocked, if they mention it is "unlocked" or "jailbroken/unlocked" or "unlocked with gevey sim", it is not.
if the iphone is unlock factory it will be after restores.
i did not understand that you want your friend to buy iphone in us or ph. for us apple doesnt sell any unlocked iphone you can only search ebay. for ph i dont know.

The Californian

macrumors 68040
Jan 17, 2009
Surfers Paradise
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If there is any way to buy it factory unlocked in Canada off contract that would be the best way - I'm not familiar how things work up there though.

bbmiLo

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2011
One can reasonably assume that the phone will sell out for awhile after release.

I remember seeing a price report on iPhone4, hong kong had the cheapest price and its unlocked, then it's Singapore. Unfortunately, the initial supply is very limited in those region.
USA is the place where it's easiest to get one, but it's locked to AT&T.

If I were you, I'd wait and get a factory unlocked one from other region.

awadeee

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2011
Canada
I live in Canada and I believe that you can just walk into an Apple store and buy one off contract factory unlocked just like if you were buying an iPod.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.