factory Unlocked Uk Iphone serial number>> urgent pls!!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mobola87, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mobola87 macrumors newbie

i live in a country where iphones arent sold officially (dont ask) .. so i bought a sealed iphone 4 from a friend's friend. on the box its model number is Mc603B/A i just want to know if this model number means its factory unlocked
    thnks for ur speedy replies!

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

I don't know much about official unlocked iPhones, but a quick google search of just the model number brought up many links claiming that Mc603B/A is an official unlocked phone.

4. mobola87 thread starter macrumors newbie

i just want to be a 100% sure.. im currently using it as an ipod/ fancy camera..
    it'll be really helpful if any UK users with the same model number Mc603B/A 16GB can confirm its unlocked..

5. DroidRules macrumors 65816

Soooo how many people need to tell you it is unlocked for you to believe them? Also why is it such a bad thing to tell us where you live? (yes I asked).

6. mobola87 thread starter macrumors newbie

just popped my in my sim card & itunes says its unsupported.. i reckon this shouldnt happen if its factory unlocked
    :D.. its forbidden to ask!!!
    Nigeria if u must know

7. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

That might just mean your carrier does not support the iPhone. Which would not be surprising if Apple does not officially sell the iPhone in Nigeria.

8. mobola87 thread starter macrumors newbie

soooo.. you think it'll activate if i insert a UK sim in the phone? instead of a nigerian carrier??

9. Komiksulo macrumors 6502

If the UK carrier supports the iPhone, and the SIM is on an account that supports the iPhone, I don't see why not.

Edit: when I got my unlocked Canadian iPhone, I put the SIM from my Canadian carrier in, connected to iTunes, and the first thing that came up in iTunes was a screen that said, "Congratulations! Your iPhone is unlocked." However, that SIM was on an account that had had an officially-supported iPhone 3G previously, which was locked to that carrier.

10. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Unlocked phone should work with any sim as far as itunes is concerned, sounds like you got a locked phone. I'm not even sure if there is a difference in model number, as the actual lock status is stored on itunes server, not the phone, so it can be set at purchase.

11. applebook macrumors 6502a

applebook

Hey, Mobo, which sucker did you get to send the iP4 to you after you scammed him/her through a fake Paypal e-mail? :D

Just kidding! :D

Dragon is correct that the model number tells us nothing because all carrier locked units have the exact same designations. http://www.iphone-network.net/how-to-tell-if-your-iphone-4-is-unlocked/ is wrong! My Rogers locked is also MC603C/A, and a UK O2 model will be Mc603B/A as well.