Factory unlocked upgrade to 4.3.2?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chestvrg, Apr 15, 2011.

1. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I recently got my iPhone 4 factory unlocked using the recent database IMEI submissions to Apple & paid $174, but I'm afraid that if I do update from 4.3 to 4.3.2 Apple/iTunes my re-lock my already factory unlocked iPhone.

Has anyone tried it yet and remained unlocked after the update?

Please share.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If it is a proper factory unlock, you will have no problems doing updates to the latest iOS version.

3. martiansoldier macrumors 6502

Since you got your "successfully unlocked" message via iTunes, my assumption is that your unlock will stay intact at least for now.

I doubt that Apple/AT&T would have re-locked these phones in less than a week. They're probably still trying to figure out how someone got access to the Apple servers to unlock AT&T locked phones.

4. Netcruzer macrumors newbie

It is unlikely that your unlock will be revoked on upgrade, but since you paid ~$180 for an unofficial factory unlock I'd stay with 4.3.1 untethered jailbrake and use SAMprefs to backup your activation.

5. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

What did you do to get the notice on iTunes of successful unlock?

I've paid my money, but when I connect to iTunes, nothing happens. Does one have to go through the restore process?

6. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

You have to put a non-AT&T SIM (I'm assuming you're an AT&T customer) in the phone, then sync with iTunes.

7. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

You should try it and see if you keep your unlock, most likely you will be able to keep it unlocked

8. stlblufan macrumors regular

stlblufan

Cool thanks.

9. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you all, I forgot to mention that I was on 4.2.1 and was forced to update in order for the unlock to execute via iTunes so I lost my jailbreak.

I'm going to attempt JB today on my current version: 4.3.1 b/f updating to 4.3.2 and run that SAM pref utility before anything else.

10. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

[​IMG]
    I got my noticed in less than 24hrs from this website called supper paddy dot com

And yes I had to go thru the restore process in order for the unlock to be success, they send me instructions along with the unlock processing. I got mine factory unlocked yesterday.

11. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Yes I'll try it, but first I will back up using the SAM pref utility, and b/f that I still have to re-jailbreak on 4.3.1.

12. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

You'll be fine. Locking your factory unlocked phone is beyond iTunes. It has to be sent in for it to be locked (or unlocked). I have a factory unlocked iP4, and had to restore it twice with no issues.

13. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

Thank you, I will give the update/restore a try tonight.

14. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

This isn't true.

Every iPhone has the capability to be locked to a specific carrier (any carrier in the world) or to be unlocked.

iTunes determines which of the above is true.

When you restore, iTunes checks Apple's database to see what the lock status should be. If they find out how this unauthorized unlock is working and they are able to change the database entries back, then the phones would be locked next time they are restored.

iOS 5.0 would require an restore to install.

If Apple plugs this unlock solution, the people that have used it would potentially never be able to restore if they want to keep the unlock.

15. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I'm now updating to 4.3.2 and I will let you know if my unlock remained.

16. ani23 macrumors 6502

I think Negri confirmed no issues with 4.3.2

Also they seem confident this can't be revoked. Must be some contract somewhere.

17. chestvrg thread starter macrumors 65816

chestvrg