Fade to Black Transition Problem---Aug 5th Wedding Slideshow---Please Help ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by chelleburt123, Aug 4, 2010.

1. chelleburt123 macrumors newbie

Please Help ASAP!!!!:eek:

I have created a 15 minute slide show with music for my close friends’ rehersal dinner. The rehersal dinner is tomorrow night. I made the slideshow using iMovie 08. Just when I thought I’d completed it, I went to watch it just to make sure…………..and I noticed a problem. The fade to black transitions are not working properly. In movies I’ve made in the past, the fade to black has worked work fine. As I understand it, they are supposed to go from picture 1-black-picture 2. . I have it set up that each picture is 3 seconds, and the transition is one second. The problem I am having is that it is going from picture 1-flash of black-flash of picture 2-black-picture 2. Sooooooo esentially, there is a premature flash of picture 2 in the middle of the fade to black transition. It is enough to make you think you’re seeing something. Most will probably not notice it, but its reallllllllly bothering me. I have tried removing all transitions and then reinserting them; this did not fix the problem. I have to put the slideshow onto a dvd tonight, so I would love to be able to fix it before then. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

Not sure with imovie, but can you just separate the two photos in the timeline? so there is a black block in the middle? Then work on fading out/in.

3. jgozuna macrumors newbie

a cheap workaround

This is something I've used in the past to create my own "fade-to-black" transitions. Create a .jpeg image of the color black. You should be able to do this in photoshop, or paint, or whatever. If you don't have any imaging software, then take a photo with your camera with the lens completely covered.

Now that you have this "black" photo, you can insert that in between the photos you want to create a transition with. Set the duration of the "black" photo to something like 1-2 seconds, then use cross-fade transitions on either side of it.

Anyway, kind of a cheap workaround, but it's come in handy in the past. I use this technique a lot on my new iPhone 4's iMovie.

Hope this helps, and good luck.

4. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

thats a good work around. never thought of doing it that way.