Fail at installing bootcamp: won't partition

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rickeames, Dec 12, 2009.

1. rickeames macrumors regular

Okay this i7 iMac is barely a few weeks old and I went today to setup bootcamp and during the partition creation, I get this error:

The disk cannot be partitioned because some files cannot be moved.​

Er...WHAT? I don't even know what to do about that one, but it sounds suspiciously like I have to completely redo my Mac which is not going to make for a good Saturday.

Any hints on what in the world would cause this? I haven't even barely used this machine to begin with.

2. Matsta macrumors newbie

I had the same problem mate,

All you need to do is restart ya iMac, then it should work fine. :)

3. xlii macrumors 68000

xlii

I had the same problem and restarting my mbp didn't work (my disk was 70% full so I wasn't shocked)... so this is what I had to do.

Backed up my mbp using time machine.
    Used my Snow Leopard disk to run disk utility and format my mbp's internal boot disk (that's right, I wiped it).
    Used the Snow Leopard disk to restore from my time machine backup.

Now when I ran bootcamp I had enough contiguous free space on my disk to make the bootcamp partition at the size I needed.

4. jgdiablo macrumors newbie

I had the same issue...fixed by doing a disk repair in Disk Utility.

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

not enough free disk space to move some larger files, delete any large files that you have or move to an external HDD then try again.

6. psingh01 macrumors 65816

Same thing happened to me. I couldn't create a 100gb partition. I could make smaller ones though. I backed everything up to Time Machine. Then did a restore. This presumably puts the "unmovable" files in a better place on the disk. After ward I was able to create my 100gb bootcamp partition.

7. dmackerman macrumors member

The reason this happens (not only in your case) is because the disk is too fragmented, and Boot Camp cannot reorganize the files to create a new partition without fully erasing it.

Backing up and restoring works because all of the files are now in order and not fragmented, allowing for Boot Camp to work it's magic. I had this happen to me once before as well.

8. rickeames thread starter macrumors regular

The machine is only a few weeks old and I havent' done anything. There is no way for a 2TB drive to get "fragmented" that quickly unless the driver writer is an idiot.

9. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

what sort of files do you have on their?