Fail to Verify - Disk Utility and Toast MBP 2011

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mac1984user, Apr 11, 2011.

1. mac1984user macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Hey there,

I have attempted 3 times to create a backup copy of my computer's OS X install disc and every time, the burn fails at the verification stage. I tried once with Toast, once with Disk Utility at 4X and once at 2X (the minimum speed my drive will go). Is it normal for the MBP to fail to verify a dual layer disc? I'm using some rather expensive TDK media that I've never had a problem with on my PC's dual layer burner. It's just frustrating that the Superdrive cannot seem to work this one out. I've wasted 3 dual-layer discs so far and was hoping someone would be able to give me a bit of guidance.

Thanks!

2. mac1984user thread starter macrumors 6502a

mac1984user

Update

After a fourth attempt, I got a different message. Instead of 'failing to verify', the drive reports that the disk drive 'didn't respond properly'. See the image below. I really don't know what's wrong with dual layer discs and the Superdrive. I'm a bit hesitant to call Apple again, because this is my THIRD MacBook Pro in a month, as the other two had screen/logic board issues. Any suggestions? Has anyone else had similar problems? Thanks!

[​IMG]

3. edifyingGerbil macrumors regular

Which MBP are you using?

I managed to burn an iso of windows 7 64-bit to a dual-layer disc and it worked fine. I used disk utility also.

Don't worry about returning lots of dud machines, if they don't work they don't work. You don't really want to be saddled with something for 3-5 years that doesn't work as advertised, do you?

I had screen issues and logic board issues too, but my current MBP I've had for a month now and it's had no issues whatsoever. They are out there, you just have to be patient.

Try burning a single layer DVD with music or something else and see if that verifies...