Failed Boot Camp install stole my space. HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Damien, Mar 30, 2008.

1. Damien macrumors regular

I was getting ready to Install Vista on my Macbook Pro, went to boot camp assistant and started to make a 50/50 partition. I let this run and then I got the Mac White Screen of Death. Restarted computer, half expecting a dead disk but Mac OS loaded fine.

However, when I went to bootcamp assistant I noticed the Partition had not been made but the space had been taken! Around 70gig of space has been taken and marked as 'unavailable' by the OS!

[​IMG]

So the 70gig I assigned to Windows has now been put into the Mac OS X 'partition' and I cannot reclaim it. Any ideas?

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

open Disk Utility in the Utilities folder and take a screen shot of it. is Macintosh HD shown as 2 partitions? does erasing free space fix it? (dont worry this wont erase your data).

btw you can take a screen shot of a window by holding "command-shift-4" then pressing space and click the window. it will even add the funky shadow to it too.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

This happened when I was installing Boot Camp and XP on my brother's MacBook. Kernel panicked right in the middle of partitioning. I booted from his Leopard DVD, ran Disk Utility and did a Repair Disk on his hard drive and it fixed it (everything was back to 1 partition of the full hard drive size).

Now, the bad news is, once the hard drive was fixed, I ran the partitioner again and got a kernel panic again, so we opted to wipe the hard drive clean, do a fresh Leopard install and then before doing anything in Leopard, I partitioned it and it worked. Hopefully you'll have better luck than I did on that.