Failed booting...help

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zagato27, Dec 25, 2007.

1. zagato27 macrumors 65816

zagato27

A bit of background. I'm got a G5 and am running the latest Tiger. Got Leopard today and tried to install. I thought that the install process would ask me about either archiving or clean install. Got to the point where the hard drive showed with a yellow caution and said that it would have to be an "erase" and install. That I didn't want. So I tried to back out using the "back" buttons. Got to where I couldn't back out any more and shut it off with the power switch. Mistake. Powered up and was right back to install Leopard screens as the install disc was still in the drive. Well this time I remembered to look up at the menu bar and saw the quit install. It then asked what drive I wanted to boot from on restart and I highlighted the Tiger drive and shut down. BTW, I manually ejected the Leopard disc. Now when I power up it hangs on the grey screen and then just shuts down. Next I tried to boot from the Tiger install disc and was able to get up and running to the point of actual install. Went to disc utilities and looked for my hard drive. It was there and tried to run disc repair and found that it stopped at one error. I can't go any further. At this point I'm open to anything. Can I connect via firewire to anther mac and at least see my data on the G5 drive. If I could do this at least I could retrieve it and then erase the drive and do a clean install. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. zagato27 thread starter macrumors 65816

zagato27

Just tried to use another mac and target mode. Tried to boot my G5 with "T" pressed down and it does indeed go into target mode...at least the target symbol is on my monitor but I don't see the hard drive on the other mac. I don't think the connections to the hard drive are the problem as before in disk utility I could actually see the hard drive but could not repair it. This is not getting any better. Did I mention when I tried to reboot with the Tiger install disk it would get to the point where it asked where I wanted to install and the window showing locations/disk drives was empty. Trying to remain calm. Trying to put off what I think may be the only solution...buying a new hard drive and installing leopard and saying good buy to all my files, music, photos etc. :(