Failed ethernet card

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stevel58, Feb 4, 2008.

1. stevel58 macrumors newbie

stevel58

Had my MBP 7 months - great. But now my ethernet card is dead! Wireless still works but no network through ethernet cable. Have tried it with different cables and at different locations but no joy.

I'm almost certain that it's hardware failure especially as preceding the failure I got a burning smell from inside the MBP casing - suspect the card is fried!! :( Everything else still works fine.

So my question - would you take the MBP to an authorised repair centre or back to a store and demand (nicely) a replacement or repair there? It's still under warranty.

Thanks
    Steve

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Take it back to the Apple store. They will not (and legally do not have to) offer a replacement: they will repair it. As there is no card, it's a chip soldered to the logic board, you will need a new logic board. This will take some time, prepare to be without your machine for a few days to a week whilst they fix it. Again this is legal as per consumer law and they do not have to (nor will they offer) a replacement for the time you are without your machine.

One other thing: back-up your data: Apple will almost certainly wipe the drive as part of their diagnostics and they occasionally fail to tell people this out loud assuming they'll read the paper they are signing :)

3. stevel58 thread starter macrumors newbie

stevel58

Thanks Robbie,
    I will ensure I have everything backed up. Looks like I'll be going back to my old Dell laptop for a while :(. Just have to accept the stick from the PC users about the reliability of a Mac! :rolleyes: