Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
Model
Late 2012 13" MBP running Mountain Lion (latest update for ML, I believe)

Issue
No longer booting

Background
I've been away from my MBP for about a month. When I got back, it was completely dead (battery status lights didn't even show anything). Plugged it in and it turned on fine. I let it charge most of the afternoon. Sometime in the evening, I checked for updates and started updating. Unfortunately I can't exactly remember what they were for. I do know Mavericks was ready to be downloaded, but I skipped it. A restart was not required, but Mail was acting up and I went ahead and restarted. I noticed it was taking longer than usual, so I left it alone. When I came back an hour or so later, the screen was black and the fans were running louder than normal (and it was warm). Since it was unresponsive, I crashed it and left it off. This morning when I went to turn it on, a progress bar appeared on the Apple screen and it completed and the little wheel kept spinning (not the cursor, but the gray wheel that spins when it's starting up). It just sat like that for at least 10 mins. I turned it off, ran a disk repair and it said there were some issues it couldn't repair (it recommended backing up, reformatting and installing). Before I did that, I tired resetting the nvram. No change. I reset the smc and now the progress bar gets about a third of the way through and turns off. Any ideas?

Tldr; MBP no longer booting up, shuts off part way through gray progress bar on boot screen.

Thanks!

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi

Thanks... it looks like it might be the hard drive. I replaced the OEM hard drive with a Samsung 830 last January. When I booted from the old HD, the computer started up fine.

Should I just reformat and see if the SSD still works or should I return it to Samsung?

This is the error I get when trying to repair the disk - "Error: Disk Utility can’t repair this disk. Back up as many of your files as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.