Failed Graphics Card, anyway to use...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by c14nhl, Jun 27, 2011.

1. c14nhl macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Hi all

My graphics card failed a few weeks ago on my MacBook Pro. When I turn it on the grey screen appears as normal, but when the Apple logo comes on it's got green lines all through it. And when the spinning circle appears below it, this also has the green lines, then eventually stops spinning. That is as far as I can go.

I'm really wanting to copy my iTunes library onto my Windows machine so that I'm able to connect my iOS devices without losing anything I have on them at the moment.

Is there anyway I can access the hard drive while my screen is like this?

Cheers

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

What MBP is it? If it is the infamous MBP with 8600M GT, then it is still covered because Apple has extended the coverage to 4 years.

If it isn't, then you can take the HD out of the MBP and put it in a 2.5" enclosure. That way you can access the files from another Mac.

3. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Yeh it's unfortuently one of the doomed MacBook Pro's.

If I were to get it repaired will I not loose any of my data then? My main concern was taking it in, but getting it back wiped. That's why I was wanting to get a copy of it all before sending it in.

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Get an external enclosure like I said. Or you could even use Target Disk Mode if both Macs have FireWire. Then you can use the other Mac to access the failed Mac's HD and backup the files.

5. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

You'll need to back it up first. Take out the drive and hook it up to a USB adapter to copy the files off.

Also, just copying your music to another computer with iTunes won't let you sync your phone to that computer without first erasing everything on the phone, since they have difference library IDs. If you knew the old ID, you can get a hex editor and change the new library ID to match the old one.

6. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if it indeed is due to the GPU, ur hard drive won't be touched by apple.

only the mobo will be replaced by apple.

i had an early 08 mbp which had the effed up nvidia GPU and all they did was replace my mobo.

i mean i guess an apple technician can drop his cup of water on your laptop and destroy it but i doubt they work in an environment like that. if u really wanna feel safe, yes get one of those SATA to USB adapters on amazon and back up ur drive before submitting it for repair.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

i don't know if the target disk mode will work in this case. with a failed GPU the computer shuts down after a few (like 2) seconds. i know the GPU has nothing to do with target disk mode, but the entire comp is shutdown bc of the GPU. only way would be the external enclosure/usb adapter

8. c14nhl thread starter macrumors 6502

c14nhl

Thanks for all the replies everyone, much appreciated!

I'll call my local Apple store tomorrow and see what they have to say.

I don't want to start digging into it before I take it to the store to be honest. Will opening it up and taking out the hard drive not void my warranty anyway?

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Warranty will not be voided. Apple doesn't care about your data so you better back it up before handing it over to Apple, or you may lose your data.

10. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

If you follow the directions on ifix.com it and dont damage anything they will never know the drive was removed. The hard drive does not effect the extended warranty on the gpu. I sent one in with a different drive and apple fixed it with out question. I did notice that apple deleted the bootcamp partition for some reason.