Failed Hard Drive - How and with what should I replace it?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ckooiker, Dec 1, 2012.

1. ckooiker macrumors newbie

I am ,unfortunately, pretty sure that the 500 gb hard drive in my 2011 13" macbook pro has totally died. It makes a loud clicking noise (like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAlKi6OW9yY) and it shows nothing but a flashing folder with a question mark on it when I try to start it up.

I stupidly haven't backed up my files in longer than I can remember, so I'm not incredibly hopeful about recovering them, but it would be nice. I don't want to pay whatever ridiculous price a genius will charge me to replace my hard drive (though I have an appointment with one tomorrow for some advice), so I have a few questions.

• What hard drive should I purchase?
    • How do I reinstall my OS?
    • Is there any possible way to recover my files?

Thanks so much!

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I'm not as knowledgeable about the second 2 question, but to replace the hard drive, I would use an SSD. They are much faster, especially on already speedy hardware like yours.

3. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

I would replace it with an SSD if I were you, but that all depends on your need for storage space versus speed and how much of a budget you have. Or you could use the Seagate Momentus XT 750GB which is a hybrid, so you would get near-SSD speeds and a lot of storage.

As far as recovering your data, your best and cheapest shot is to purchase an external enclosure kit and see if you can find the files using a different computer, or your MBP after you replace the drive.

To reinstall your OS, I believe you boot the computer once your new hard drive is installed and it should take you to the Internet Recovery screen where you can re-download Lion or Mountain Lion.

If that doesn't work, you will need to use someone else's Mac, download it from the App Store, and put it on a bootable CD or USB drive. Alternatively you could purchase an Apple USB drive online somewhere.

Hope this helps. :)

4. bigboar macrumors 6502

5. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

Yeah, if you can spring it, definitely SSD!!!

Nowadays, I wouldn't look at HDDs as start disks anymore, unless I really, really needed lots of space and was limited to only one internal drive bay. BTW, once you get a taste of SSD speeds, it is very hard to go back to HDD, I'm serious:D:D:D

I'd go for a 512GB SSD, if you can find a decent deal, less the $400 or if you are patient online stores, i.e. Newegg.com, reduce some of the more popular models to $300 from time to time.

6. zackkmac macrumors 6502a

This. ^

Crucial M4 512GB is what I have in my 17", and it is a great drive. They can be purchased brand new on eBay for $318 shipped.

7. richnyc macrumors regular

richnyc

LOL, have the same in place of my superdrive and bought it from eBay also, $300 plus shipping;)