Failed harddrive, G4 Mac mini

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Shotglass, Apr 3, 2008.

1. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I have a 1.5GHz G4 Mac mini here that is struggling with the most basic day-to-day tasks. It takes ages to boot and has problems opening larger files. Since this computer hasn't really seen major usage (teh intertubes and word processing), I think it might be due to a failed harddrive.
    Naturally, my first idea was to boot it off an external USB harddrive, which I just found out is not possible with PPC Macs. Now I have two options: I either replace the internal harddrive or get an external FireWire one. Can anyone comment on either option? Also, since I don't really need major harddrive space on this Mac, what would be the cheapest harddrive you can think of?
    Thanks for helping.

2. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

Sorry but I'm far from agreeing with you. A slow responding os is hartly ever caused by a faulty HD.

Maybe you can try and reinstall os x first (do an archive and install first). And wait with importing your user setting (to rule out any nasty program). Use the migration assistant at a later time.

But before you try all this, check the activity monitor if any program is hogging your mini....

3. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I already checked the Activity Monitor, nothing is hogging anything. I would've been surprised if it was, this machine is essentially a typewriter.

I'm a fan of clean installs, and I have the external HD to back everything up (Carbon Copy Cloner). Is there any good way to import all the personal data from another OS X installation on an external HD?

4. Cuckoo macrumors 6502

yes, the migration assistant

applications -> utilities -> Migration Assistant

i have never done it myself, but if you open the tool you can see it's features. And if you make a CCC of your disk, the migration assistans just 'sees' an other mac on a clean install.

(i do share your preferences for clean installs, must be a windows habit)

5. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

It sounds like your hard drive is almost full.... Should always try keep 6 -8% of hard drive space always free..

For Mac OS X speedy n happy..

6. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

80GB harddrive, 45GB free. Told you it was a typewriter.

7. ewilson6 macrumors 6502

are you using antivirus software?

This can slow your mac down 80% and is useless on the mac to begin with since there are no viruses on a mac.

-Eric

8. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

I am using a MS Word plugin called "WordFast" that doesn't quite work and seems really sluggish, but surely that can't be responsible for the whole computer being slow even when Word is closed?

9. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Not true. A failing hd can slow things down. Unfortunately, a fw drive will be slower too. I've used Onyx, cleared out all the caches and everything, and reinstalled the latest OS update, and that can help. But it's not an end all be all. You could try upgrading the internals, new 7200 RPM drive and up the RAM to as fast as possible. Get rid of everything that autoloads that you don't need.

10. ramlax13 macrumors member

I would suggest a 7200 drive too if you are going to go through with the hard drive relpacement. That said, good luck finding one these days, since they can't be a SATA hard drive. If you do find one be sure to let me know, as I was looking to put a 7200 drive in my G4 mini, but haven't found one yet(no rush for me, mine runs just fine)

11. Shotglass thread starter macrumors 65816

Shotglass

Seeing as how this thing's optical drive failed on me, I'm going to replace that first to see how a simple reinstall might work. If that fails, I'm putting in a proper harddrive.

12. ADent macrumors 6502a

Not true - I can boot off a USB thumb drive on my G4 eMac (haven't tried the G4 mini though). I know from experience Firewire works on a G4 mini.

.... surf... surf... surf..

Interesting stuff here: http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20060301112336384 "Interestingly, older macs that only have USB 1 ARE USB bootable with no real tricks involved." I guess there is an advantage to being stuff with USB 1 on that eMac.