Failed Hardrive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Leadz, May 17, 2011.

1. Leadz macrumors newbie

Hello. I have a macbook pro and from hours of searching through the internet, I've come to find out that I have a problem with my harddrive. When I start the computer, it gets to the grey apple with the spinning wheel, along with a gray bar loading at the bottom. Once it gets about 10% full, the computer shuts off. I have tried safe mode, running command-line utilitydisk, boot from CD-rom(took forever like 30min+ so I shut it off), just about everything. I desperately need to recover certain files from the computer that were saved to the desktop(I'm not sure if that makes it less of a problem). It's only 4 files, but they are important for a certain family member of mines and being as my funds are limited, a cost-effective solution would be appreciated.

Thank you.

2. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

Bring it to a genius.

3. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

Well, for starters, Apple will not back up your data; that's something you'll have to do yourself. You can try removing the hard drive from the computer and using an enclosure/USB to SATA adapter to remove the files onto another computer.

4. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

If you know a friend with a Mac, do a Target Disc mode to access your files.

If not, look on iFixit on how to replace the HDD for your model.

Before you do anything though, take out the RAM and put them back in.

If you ever upgraded the RAM, put back in only the original.

The disc that came with your Mac has a utility in it - AHT - Apple Hardware Test. Try that.

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1509

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3964?viewlocale=en_US

5. Leadz thread starter macrumors newbie