Failed load Win7, USB, Bootcamp, on 2011 MBP:no DVD drive.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ti toaster, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ti toaster macrumors newbie

I know....I know....this has been covered and tackled possibly a million times in a million variations. Yup, this is yet another post asking if any one can help get me past the infamous "No bootable disk detected. Insert install disk and hit any key" prompt with Windows from BootCamp.
    Sorry this will be long, but just wanting to provide all the information.

I had removed the DVD drive awhile back for installing an extra SSD in the MBP early 2011.

Tried Bootcamp, and we all know what happens with that.

I found a post here to hack getting Boot camp to recognize and load onto a USB Thumb drive, and once I figured that out, I was able to use ALL three options to install Windows onto Thumb drive, create a Windows ready Partition on HD, and reboot.

It re-boots and loads the DOS operating window but all I get is:
    "No bootable device. Install operating system disk and hit any key"...

I happen to have the same Windows ISO installed onto a DVD, and can load it into an external DVD drive, which the machine DOES see, but it won't use it.

I have tried only using the DVD, and I either get the black screen with blinking cursor, or "Couldn't find boot MGR".

I have tried I believe, everything on Apple and here that I could find, and google my giblets off....can ANYONE tell me what I am missing?

Can I simply buy the APPLE External Superdrive and that would work, or do I have to re-install the DVD into the computer??!!

Thanks, seriously.
    I know and can relate as to how annoying and frustrating this issue has been to so many.

Cheers!

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

Unless this has changed since I last researched this, only the rMBP and Macbook Air can boot from external USB peripherals for bootcamp.

3. ti toaster thread starter macrumors newbie

That, kind sir, is NOT what I was hoping to hear!!
    So do you think even despite the hack to install onto a USB thumb drive, that it won't work because it knows it is a 2011 MBP?

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

AFAIK, it has to do with the EFI being unable to trick windows into thinking the boot DVD is in an internal drive.

MBP's will boot from USB, it's windows that refuses to do so...

5. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Use this to create your Windows Installable USB flash drive (I use an 8GB drive):

http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/html/pbPage.Help_Win7_usbdvd_dwnTool

This tool has worked for me for every Windows release since windows 7 (Windows Server releases from that time onward as well.)

The end result of using that tool is that you will have a USB flash drive that you can boot your system from and then use to install Windows.

I have no idea what state you have put your MBP in by now though, so wether or not this will work for you at this point is a huge grey area from my perspective. "Try it and see" is my best recommendation at this point.

FWIW, I've only done it once with my 2012 cMBP, and it was so long ago that I honestly can't remember if I had any huge issues doing so (my need to run Windows on bare metal has since been removed, and now I only run it in a VM.) I would like to believe that if I did have any significant problems getting it going, I would remember them, though.

Also, this isn't so much a Macbook Pro problem, as it is a software issue with BootCamp and/or OS X. (You can have this exact same issue on a Mac mini too ... my methods work on both my cMBP and my 2011 Mac mini.) You may want to ask a mod to move this thread to a more appropriate sub forum ... it will increase your chances of getting the best help possible.

6. ti toaster thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh I see..... interesting.
    There is an "EFI" disk that has shown up when attempting to use the DVD drive, and I click it but the machine locks up..so I ignored it.