Failed load Win7, USB, Bootcamp, on 2011 MBP:no DVD drive.

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by ti toaster, Oct 11, 2014.

1. ti toaster macrumors newbie

I know....I know....this has been covered and tackled possibly a million times in a million variations. Yup, this is yet another post asking if any one can help get me past the infamous "No bootable disk detected. Insert install disk and hit any key" prompt with Windows from BootCamp.
    Sorry this will be long, but just wanting to provide all the information.

I had removed the DVD drive awhile back for installing an extra SSD in the MBP early 2011.

Tried Bootcamp, and we all know what happens with that.

I found a post here to hack getting Boot camp to recognize and load onto a USB Thumb drive, and once I figured that out, I was able to use ALL three options to install Windows onto Thumb drive, create a Windows ready Partition on HD, and reboot.

It re-boots and loads the DOS operating window but all I get is:
    "No bootable device. Install operating system disk and hit any key"...

I happen to have the same Windows ISO installed onto a DVD, and can load it into an external DVD drive, which the machine DOES see, but it won't use it.

I have tried only using the DVD, and I either get the black screen with blinking cursor, or "Couldn't find boot MGR".

I have tried I believe, everything on Apple and here that I could find, and google my giblets off....can ANYONE tell me what I am missing?

Can I simply buy the APPLE External Superdrive and that would work, or do I have to re-install the DVD into the computer??!!

Thanks, seriously.
    I know and can relate as to how annoying and frustrating this issue has been to so many.

Cheers!

2. yjchua95 macrumors 604

On MacBooks with an optical drive, it will not start up from an external SuperDrive. So if you modded your MBP with an OptiBay, you're essentially screwed in trying to boot off a Windows USB install stick for Boot Camp.