Failed Mac pricing

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by 128keaton, Mar 1, 2014.

1. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

Today in our local thift store I saw an iMac G5 priced for $349 and a 2005 PowerBook G4 15" for $300. Do people not do their research? I'd hate for someone not knowing any better pick up an overpriced one of these and be disappointed with the web browsing speed.

2. Ih8reno macrumors 65816

Ih8reno

Yeah, see ads all over craigslist and kijiji with way overpriced items as well. Guess they think it gives them more room to barter the prices

3. And macrumors 6502

And

I saw a G5 iMac on ebay a couple of days ago for £999.00 as a buy it now ($1600). That has to be a typo when doing the listing, right?

4. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Sometimes sellers really are confused about how much their Mac is worth. Recently I saw PB G4 17" for sale for 400€. He was quickly asked if he was serious, he said yes.

5. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Totally agree and it's sad. There is a big recycler in my town that just gets donated stuff, mostly broken crap, and sells it at disgusting prices with no bartering (computers, furniture, carpet, etc.) . I went in about 2 years ago to check out some G5s they had, the most memorable was a terrible shape 1.6GHz single core with 512MB RAM and an 80GB HDD for $200.

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

People quite simply see that big old Apple logo and see $$$.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I agree with all this, but I might add one other point.

Lots of times a seller is a PC person who gets the Mac either as a hand-me-down or a cast-off. They don't know much about them and usually have no use for them. So, they slap a price on it because they see what current Mac prices are and wrongly assume that they are selling a current Mac.

Usually they get angry when they finally understand what they have and why no one will pay their price for it.

8. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I guess to a certain extent it's testament to Apple's design back in the early '00s. Slap a PowerBook G4 from 2001 next to a MacBook Pro from 2013, and a Dell laptop from 2001 next to a Dell laptop from 2013 and it quickly becomes clear how well they age. Which I believe is definitely a big factor when it comes to these 'PC' sellers knocking huge price tags on these old computers.

9. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Agree!

10. FigmentNewtonII macrumors member

I saw an Ebayer selling an Emac for an obnoxious price. He advertised it as "vintage" and never used. Though clearly the front panel has yellowed and tried to say that the yellowing gives it a vintage look. I got pretty angry when I saw that.

11. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

is $75 good for a white all in one mac? I am assuming its the eMac model but I didn't see the specs listed on it. It had only the price so I don't know about what it has on it.

I wish I had gotten the Bondi iMac for $40 when I had the chance but I always have to think about how much space I have on a desk or have multiple desks.

12. tampasteve macrumors 6502

Not at all. emacs can go for a dollar or two, I won one on ebay for $1 plus shipping....this shipping is costly hough as they are heavy. If it is an iMac then that is not bad depending on the specs.

13. gavinstubbs09 macrumors 65816

gavinstubbs09

There have only been 2 times I've bought a PPC Mac the moment I saw them. First was my B&W at a thrift store (and some jackass stole the Ram, SCSI cable, and the graphics card) for $20. It was tempting so I bought it! The other was a iMac G4 800MHz (I still have) that I bought from this guy at a flea market who sold computers (this was the only mac) and would not go a cent less than $50. After some more walking around and not seeing anything else apple (take that back - guy wanted $400 for a cracked iPad 2 16GB) I bought that iMac.

Now ebay is a different game. I haven't spent more than $100 for a PPC mac on ebay, and my highest was $96 for a mini G4 (wayyyy too expensive) but I've had good deals like $50 total for my G5 and $56 total for a 1.6GHz iMac G5.

Craigslist. People there want insane amounts of money but I'll give the examples I saw and people's lack to provide good photos and details.

iMac G4 17" - $50 no specs listed, no keyboard/mouse, and turns on fine.
    PM G5 - $50 says it has no ram, hard drive or video card. Untested and says it would be good for a hackintosh case.
    iMac G4 17" - $92 (??) 1GHz, Leopard, 1.25GB Ram, and keyboard/mouse. Works and not an issue. Mentions price is firm.
    Dual 2.66 Mac G5 - $125 and won't start up. Has Leopard installed and the picture of it is a G5. Obviously this guy doesn't know a difference with the Mac Pros and G5 macs.
    PM G5 Dual 1.8 - $125 guy says it has Tiger, 80GB HDD, 1GB Ram and bought it a while back from a computer store for $599.00
    G4 Cube - $200 no specs or power adaptor included. Rip Off I think!
    MAC COMPUTER OLD *BUT RUNS LIKE A NEW ONE* - $255. Guy doesn't give any specifics but it is a iMac G5 and probably a 17" Keyboard+mouse included.

Hopefully this gives some insight to the Crisgslist+ebay way of obtaining macs. If I personally had to buy one off craigslist right now, I would go with the $92 iMac as he did good with listing and I wouldn't beat my rule of $100 on a PPC mac :)

14. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Sigh, most of those prices would be extremely cheap for over here.

15. AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

Thrift and charity markets are notorious for ovepricing computer hardware. I recall seeing XT systems priced at £300/$500 and up, in the late 1990s and early 2000s. The people that work in many of these outfits see a computer with a brand name, and think it is worth a fortune; they often have no idea of the difference between an Apple II, a Mac Quadra, and a G4, or a Mac Pro.

It has an Apple logo, and thus, must be valuable. This is especially true when the employees are from small, poor countries, as they will always see these items are things they could 'never afford', and price them accordingly.

I saw a 2008 XServe on eBay last week for something around US$6,000. I wrote tot he seller, explained how he would never see his original investment back,a nd he lowered it to the still absurd price of US$1,500; the average market value of an XServe 2008 is between £150/$250 and £350/$450. His was bare-bones, with base RAM, one SAS 73GB drive, and a Fibre card, but no peripherals.

A Nehalem with more than twice the power, 4x the RAM, triple 1TB drives, and extras, was selling at the same time (from an outfit with them in quantity), for £550-600 or there-around, and the same firm were selling the 2008 model, with large amounts of RAM, for about half that price.

Shop around, and look at pricing, before you waste money.

16. AdrianK macrumors 68020

This reminds me of someone who posted a DP 2.7GHz G5 in the marketplace here wanting $1,500 for it. They also had a 30" ACD that they wanted $1,000 for.

When I told him his pricing was insane his response was "I guess things are priced differently where you are". That made my day :p

17. AmestrisXServe, Mar 2, 2014
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2014

AmestrisXServe macrumors 6502

I usually try to be straightforward, informative, and reasonable whenever I contact anyone on this concern, pointing out identical products, and the current trends.

When you enter the avenue of true collectible items, pricing becomes more abstract. I have been contacted about my own pricing in the past, by people looking for a bargain. One good example were some TRON joysticks, that I was selling (new, old stock) for £200. (One of those items that no-one has, that you may never again see for sale.)

People would write me and offer me 1/10th of my list price, trying to argue that it was too much, when all the while, I was selling them without complaint at the listed price. (They compared my pricing to that of used, not-even-refurbished units.)

If ten other people were selling them at 1/10th my price, also new stock, not reproduction, or refurbished, I would concur, but when I am the only person with the inventory, and people are happy to pay the price, then it is still reasonable, no-matter how hight it may be. That's basic economics.

If someone was selling a sealed Bondi iMac, they could ask whatever they wanted; while for a used unit, boxed, they could ask a reasonable price; and for a loose unit, they would get fair market value, and not a penny more.

One major misconception is that Apple HW holds its value, indefinitely. This used to be closer to the truth, before Apple abandoned PowerPC, for PPC systems, and for M68K systems, before Apple abandoned them. As soon as Apple shifted to the Intel architecture, all PPC prices plummeted. This applies to their enterprise market equipment as well, for as soon as they cancelled their XServe line, the prices for all XServe equipment fell down to earth.

People look at a system for which they paid $10,000, and hope to sell it for half that price, when it is worth 1/20th of that price at present, following the old belief that all Apple systems retain at least half of their original price in value, at all times. While that may have been true at one time, when the Performa series was hot stuff, 'tisn't anymore.

Sickening though it may be, a fully populated XRAID is now about £200!

In fact, most Apple systems made today have a three-to-four year lifespan, which greatly diminishes the chance of them holding a value for the long-term, and no new system should be considered a wise investment. If you expect to profit from an Apple system, expect it to be through good, solid work, and no later resale, to recuperate part of your original purchase price. For this reason alone, I no longer buy any new Apple systems. My last new system was a G5.

18. xtempo macrumors 6502

xtempo

It was a CRT. I looked on wiki and as the picture was what I saw. I think the eMac is missing something on the back end or does it always show a metal circle that is at the end of the monitor?

If I knew what the OS and specs was and if it also came with a mouse and keyboard I might be interested but then at the moment I seem to be fine with my PB G4 and G5 though as color goes the iMac flavors were the best and the G3 once it stopped being beige. I wish Apple would go back to a colorful and wonderful age of computing:eek:

19. archtopshop macrumors regular

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

Basically, an item is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it.

20. Mikeske macrumors newbie

On ebay there is a guy trying to sell a Apple Cube (supposedly new in box) that he says in the ad that he has opened the box and tested the unit. He wants $15,000 and it is wishful thinking that he will ever get even close to $500.00.

As far as I can see it will be that the Apple name on it and he has dollar signs and nobody will ever pay that price. I got a modded Apple Cube 450 mHz for $75.00 with everything but the speakers, the prior owner had installed a fan it and keeps the temperatures within reason. I also got a 2nd Cube 500 mHz for $45.00 as it kept going to the question mark on startup and all I did was install a new hard drive and it is running great.

I know that the PPC Mac's are not worth much and the ones that think they have the greatest inanimate object that will be worth money are in for a shock. The old saying that a fool and his money are so parted is very true.

A month ago a buddy was going to buy a new computer and I found him a 2007 iMac 7.1 that was new out of the box and had never been used. I help him set it up and got him upgraded to OS X 10.9.1 and got him running nice. The price I charged him was $375.00 plus $100.00 for my labor and the Apple wireless keyboard and Magic Mouse.

Being honest and reasonable on pricing this guy has turned around and help me sell a couple other used Apples.

21. Zotaccian macrumors 6502a

Zotaccian

Spotted ad of PowerBook 145B and 3400C bundle. 145B works and has charger, 3400C does not have charger and condition is unknown.

200 Euros.

Are those machines so old and rare that they have that kind of value or is this just another failed pricing :)

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

For comparison, working Core2Duo macbooks sell for around £200-300 here in the UK, with nicely sized HDDs and more than 2GB ram. They'll run Mavericks fine.

I did get burned last year on a 2.4ghz 15'' Macbook Pro last year, 2008 model - I paid around £200, perhaps a bit less, supplied my own HDD, saw it working before I paid for it. A couple of months later, the battery expanded and failed, and the video chip on the mobo failed, rendering it useless. I just missed the end of the Apple Recall on that particular model :( My partner still nags me about it!

23. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I've just sold my fully working 2004 eMac USB 2.0 for a tenner (99p start on eBay UK); we paid £80 for it 5 or 6 years ago.

The buyer was very happy, and so was I to see it will still be used.

Cheers :)

Hugh