Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Hi,
I have a problem with my magsafe power adapter, and Apple Thailand has said my only option is to buy a new power cord because Applecare will not cover the magsafe.. Why did I spend 190 dollars on Applecare only to be confronted with a good ol' Apple "nickel and dime" clause.

My power adapter is in fine shape and the cord is not damaged at all. The problem is with the gold connector pins. Some of the springs that force the pins out have failed, so the pins just flop in and out. Maintaining a connection with the failed pin springs is a serious PITA.

Anybody else had their power adapter replaced after 12 months? I really can't believe Applecare doesn't cover this. What kind of warranty is Applecare? As Apple gains market share they're really going to need to get up to speed on proper customer service plans.

Obviously I'll be calling Apple U.S. as soon as North America wakes up tomorrow.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yeah, that sort of thing should be covered by AppleCare, as it doesn't sound like there's damage to the part. Try a different rep or move up the chain of command until you get satisfaction.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
This should be covered by Applecare, so keep at it.

Hope it all works out for you. :)

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Thanks for your support. I'll update the post with the results. I'd really like to believe that once I deal directly with Apple North America I'll be able to resolve this. I've never had an easy solution with Apple Thailand and I cringe whenever I have a hardware problem over here, because I know I will usually have to file a complaint...AGAIN. Even after maintaining my composure within the "Thai standard" and pleasantly demanding a solution, customer service in this country is an afterthought at best. Sad thing is that I bought my MacBook from the same Apple shop that usually gives me problems.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
If you've had problems with the Thai reps, then I think you're in for a similar struggle this time as well. However, the higher you go, the less likely you'll be dealing with a regular customer service agent (or at least one in Thailand). Just keep asking for the supervisor/manager each time you get an unsatisfactory answer. You'll have your new AC adapter soon enough. :)

loktin

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2005
Magsafe exchanges are quite common- The reps at my local apple store say they replace them everyday. I've had to exchange it twice, and I'm the kind that sees exchanges as a complete hassle and only does it when I have to.

I say call apple usa and speak to a supervisor to report on customer service overseas if all else fails. But man, Apple QC is getting exponentially worse as they keep ramping up the supply to meet high demands.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
If Apple support in Thailand is so useless, then I would question the wisdom of buying a Apple laptop in Thailand at all.

I like Apple, but I also believe in choosing the right tool for the right job, and if there's no backup when you need it, it may not be the right tool for you. :(

Good luck with getting a replacement, and hope you find someone you can contact direct if any future problems come up.

maxpower13

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2007
There's this one time I had an issue about my MacBook Pro... I went as high up as the Customer Relations Expert for the Asia Pacific + Japan region. It was quite helpful and the experience was good.
I gotta agree with this Apple Japan has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
If Apple support in Thailand is so useless, then I would question the wisdom of buying a Apple laptop in Thailand at all.

To be honest, when I bought the macbook here in Thailand, I was sort of under the false impression that because Apple is so tidy and uniform with their hardware/software/service, I could expect similar support no matter where I was as long as there were "Apple-certified" service providers and retailers. Obviously I've lived in Thailand long enough to realize that there would be "cultural" exceptions and slight inconveniences, but nonetheless I expected basic things like Applecare coverage to be quite clear.

But, having lived through a few Mac hardware problems here in Thailand I now recommend Macs to my Thai and expat friends with the disclaimer that "But remember you are in Thailand and owning a Mac in Thailand dose not guarantee the same customer experience as owning a Mac in other more mac-populated regions."

Anyway, later today, I was assured furthur up in the chain at Apple Thailand that my power adapter should most likely be covered, but they are working on the local store to give me an exchange.

It is true that servicing a PC is waaaaay easier here in Thailand with the plethora of tiny hardware shops stacked to the ceiling with used pieces and parts. My girlfriend just had the backlight in her PC laptop screen replaced for 30 bucks, labor included.

But, a PC?!?! No thank you very much.

byakuya

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2007
I gotta agree with this Apple Japan has some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with.

That's true.
Japan in general has exceptionally good customer service regardless of the brand/company.
I guess it has something to do with Japanese culture...also had good experience with US customer service...
German customer service is a joke compared to these two though...

khunsanook

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
East Asia
Hooray! I will be receiving a new adapter to replace my broken one. Here's the chain of events I was required to go through to get it.

First I went to the apple store in Chiang Mai where I purchased the MacBook a year and a half ago. I was told no, Applecare would not cover the power adapter.

Second, I called Apple Thailand and was told yes my adapter should be covered by Applecare.

Third, I called Apple United States and was told yes my adapter should be covered by Applecare, but that because Apple Thailand and Apple United States "are not connected in any way" (???) I would have to deal only with Apple Thailand for my replacement since I was located in Thailand.

Fourth, I returned to the shop where they had told me no and they called Apple Thailand and received the answer that no my adapter would not be covered by Applecare. I explained that I had been told just the opposite by (the same) Apple Thailand and Apple U.S.. They called another store in Thailand and were assured that no the power adapter should be covered.

Finally I spoke with the top manager of Apple Thailand and he said that yes the adapter is covered by Applecare. He called the local store in Chiang Mai and they will now be replacing by broken adapter.

wow. PITA.

There is an amazing lack of consistency in simple information among the Apple Thailand network and dealers, but I'm very happy I will not have to spend extra cash for a new power adapter.

It also strikes me as strange that Apple U.S and Apple Thailand "are not connected in any way" I double-checked this with Apple Thailand and they gave me the same answer. So, Apple Thailand is basically just an authorized national Apple network. Seems like Apple U.S. needs to start doing a little QA on their international partners.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007
I'm glad that you're finally getting your power adapter...even after all the hoops you had to go through. :)

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
Yes, Apple uses IMC (Independent Marketing Companies) throughout much of the world. Apple supplies them with product and rights to use logos and marketing materials, but that's about it. As independent companies, they're ultimately responsible for what happens. Apple should of course know when there are issues with their IMCs and continually review their performance, but Apple isn't really responsible for their actions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.