Failed repair

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jdoran, Mar 5, 2009.

1. jdoran macrumors newbie

Hello,
    recently the screen on my powerbook started to display nothing but greenish lines. I tried various things to fix this including restarting the PMU/ soft boot ect. Eventually I found this article: ..."Whenever a screen problem arises with a PowerBook I look into the replacement of the display cable and the inverter board..." He went into detail here: ........http://www.macintouch.com/pbg4reader32.html (Nov. 12th 04 post).....I went ahead and followed his advice however now that I have done that my display will not show anything. No green lines, no backlight, nothing. I realize there are many reasons for this including the possibility that I just screwed up the install (dam was it frustrating!); I am simply looking to amass all possible problems so they can be addressed when I finally do open that thing up again. As for my specs: powerbook g4 12inch. (aluminum with mini-DV); 1.5 Ghz; 1.25 GB ram; mac os x 10.5.6. Also I have an external monitor that works fine with the computer, only the display seems to be broken. The notebook has had some wear and tear however I have experience working on labtops and I did the install as carefully as possible. Sorry if this question is too general, I simply want to cover all my bases when I open that guy up again, thanks for the consideration, Justin.

2. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Sounds major. You sound courageous!

Is there a repair shop near by? Might wanna take it in for an estimate. ;)

3. jdoran thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to steer clear of a repair shop; at this point it is going to cost too much for it to be worth it.

4. Tesselator macrumors 601

Tesselator

Aren't estimates free though? And they tell you what's wrong with it. Know what I mean?